96 Blazer O2 Sensor

Old 06-06-04, 07:04 PM
Question 96 Blazer O2 Sensor

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer w/ 4.3 engine. I have been having problems with an O2 sensor. My check engine light came on one day, scanned it, and it read O2 sensor, left bank, sensor 1. I assumed that this was the first sensor on the drivers side. Replaced sensor and cleard the trouble codes. A few days later it came back on again. Removed the new O2 sensor and replaced it with another one. Again, a few days later the light was back on again. I can't remember the exact code (it has been a few months) but it was from P0131 to P0141. If I clear the codes (removing the neg side battery cable), it will go a for a few days up to a week, then come back on, with the same code. What could be the problem here? I did read somewhere in a GM service bulleton something about the O2 wiring harness. Could this be to blame? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Has anyone had experience with this?

One more thing, about a month before I started having this happen, I installed one on these aftermarket remote starter/door locks/alarm systems, which involved spicing into some the starter circuit wires on the steering colunm. I thought this might have been causing a problem, so I disconnected the power to the system by removing the fuse. And of course, the light went out for a few days and came back on. So could this still be causing a problem?

Thanks to you guys for all of your help!!
MRT19

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-04, 11:29 PM
there is several different codes that could be set for each o2 such as lean, or rich that could be set for several reasons other than a bad o2, suggest rechecking codes and when you know exactly the code number, check for any technical service bulletins that may apply to the code set and if any found to see what they require to be done.
you may want to subscribe to alldata to be able to access tsb's and repair info for your vehicle and once you do know the code you may also post back here for more help.

Old 06-07-04, 03:37 AM
Stop blaming the messenger. Setting an O/2 related code does not mean the sensor is bad. It's merely reporting what it sees. Those 2 codes you mentioned can mean 2 totally different things. One's a low voltage code and the other is a heater code. The first step is find find out what the real code is and post it here. The other thing is, you cannot clear a code on a 96 vehicle by disconnecting the battery. This problem needs to be repaired properly with the help of a scanner.

Old 06-07-04, 04:14 PM
Then why

If you can not reset the code by disconnecting the battery, then why does the light go out when the battery is disconnected? then it comes back on again a few days later.

I will get the code and post a reply. It may take a few days, I have to borrow the code scanner from a friend.

Thanks,
MRT19

Old 06-07-04, 04:52 PM
Most every OBDII code that I have seen has to be cleared with a scanner. The illumination of the check engine light can vary with the current status of the code as some are 2 trip codes and some hold in memory. Disconnecting the battery may be resetting the trip counter. Some codes are set without putting the light on and some will even make the light flash. They vary with the importance of the code.

Old 07-05-04, 06:32 PM
here are the codes

Well it took me a while but I finally got hold of a scanner and was able to retrieve the codes. The first code is P0141, which means that there is a malfunction if the heater circuit in sensor 2 in the left bank. And now there is a second code, P0153, which is slow response during testing, sensor 1 bank 2. Does this help. Can you tell me exactly which senors the codes are refering to. I think I have 4 O2's. One on each of the downfall pipes, one after the pipes come together before the convertor, and one after the convertor. Hope this info will help you help me. When I scaned for the codes, I cleared the codes and will see how long it will take the light to come back on.

thanks for all the help
mrt19

Old 07-05-04, 06:59 PM
Actually those codes do seem to point toward a bad O/2. The PO141 indicates a problem with a heater circuit , which 9 out of 10 times is a bad heater within the sensor. The slow response code is usually a sensor's fault also. It means it's not getting hot enough to come alive as quickly as it should. Were these the same sensors you already changed and if so, did you use Delco brand sensors?

Old 07-05-04, 08:27 PM
sensor location is second sensor on the left bank which would be the drivers side starting at the engine count to the second sensor on that bank which may be after the y, bank 2 refers to the passenger side the closest sensor to the engine would be sensor 1.

Old 07-06-04, 02:44 PM
Four O2 Sensors

I can only find 4 sensors. One on each down fall pipe, one just before the convertor, and one after the convertor. Are there any more, possible on the exhaust manifolds? I did not see any on there. The sensor that I have been replacing is the sensor on the driver's side down fall pipe, which would be sensor 1 bank 1. So according to the codes I have been fooling with the wrong one, right. According to my codes the O2 sensors are:

P0141 - Oxygen Sensor 2, bank 1 - sensor just before the convertor
P9153 - Oxygen Sensor 1, bank 2 - sensor on the pass side down fall pipe

Is this correct?
And I did not use Delco brand, I used Bocsh from Advance Auto Parts.
And the location of all the senors are as follows, correct:

Driver's side down fall pipe - O2 sensor 1, bank 1
Just before convertor - O2 sensor 2, bank 1
After the convertor - O2 sensor 3, bank 1
Pass's side down fall pipe - O2 sensor 1, bank 2

Does any of this make sense? Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks,
MRT19

Old 07-06-04, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by MRT19
P0141 - Oxygen Sensor 2, bank 1 - sensor just before the convertor
P9153 - Oxygen Sensor 1, bank 2 - sensor on the pass side down fall pipe

Is this correct?
And I did not use Delco brand, I used Bocsh from Advance Auto Parts.
And the location of all the senors are as follows, correct:

Driver's side down fall pipe - O2 sensor 1, bank 1
Just before convertor - O2 sensor 2, bank 1
After the convertor - O2 sensor 3, bank 1
Pass's side down fall pipe - O2 sensor 1, bank 2

Does any of this make sense? Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks,
MRT19
If you have four sensors, then you have 2 before the converter and 2 after the converters. I've never seen a "sensor 3"
Sensor 1 Bank 1-upsteam (before conv) drivers side
Sensor 1 Bank 2 - upstream (before conv) passenger side
Sensor 2 Bank 1 - downstream (after converter) drivers side
Sensor 2 Bank 2 - downstream (after converter) Passenger side
Your problems seem to be with the downstream sensor (after the converter) on the drivers side -PO141
and the upstream (before converter) sensor on the pass side - PO153
Other people may argue but I've never had faith in anything but Delco on a GM product.

Old 07-06-04, 04:40 PM
on blazers where the exhaust pipe y's and there is one convertor I have seen 3 o2 sensors upstream of the convertor and they will number it under 1 bank after the y such as sensor 2 or 3 sounds like you understand it correctly and have probably changed the wrong sensor.
as per brand, bosch makes a decent o2 sensor so does delco but I wouldnt go out of my way looking for a delco if your local parts store doesnt carry a/c delco sensors, but if they do you will find that they may be cheaper are atleast very close to the price of the bosch.

Old 07-06-04, 04:52 PM
looked again

Hi Desi501, thanks for helping me.

I went and looked again at the exhaust and this is what I found. There is a down fall pipe from the driver's side and one from the pass's side. Each pipe has a sensor in it. Next, both down fall pipes merge together into one pipe, then go into the cat convetor. There is a sensor after the y and before the convertor. Next, the cat convertor and finally to the muffler. And there is one more sensor between the convertor and the muffler.

You say there is a sensor after the convertor on the driver's side and pass's side. I only have single exhaust and do not have a driver's side and pass's side. Is this what you meant or did I understand something wrong. When you say upstream, do you mean up towards the motor? I don't mean to be a pain, just trying to figure all this stuff out.

thanks,
MRT19

Old 07-07-04, 02:47 AM
Bejay seems to have the right picture here. I didn't remember seeing a setup like that before. I'm not positive how they'd label a setup like that.

PS, I checked my own 98 Blazer and it only has 3 sensors.

Last edited by Desi501; 07-07-04 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-08-04, 03:34 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

I think I have a pretty good handle on what's going on now. Thanks for all your help.

MRT19