84 Tempest Problem

Old 06-06-04, 07:28 PM
Question 84 Tempest Problem

My in-laws were just given a 1984 Pontiac Tempest, which may not sound like a big deal, but it is to replace their current 1972 Pontiac Venturi with about 1,000,000 miles or so. So being the family mechanic, I have been giving the job of fixing it. The prlbem with the car is that it will just stop running going down the road. After @ 20 minutes or so it will start back up and be on your way. The previous owners said this has been going on for a number of years and only happens every couple of years. They have also said that they have replaced serveral parts over the years to remedy the problem. Some of them include the ignition module and other electrical items, not sure which ones but I can find out, they have receipts form all their purchases. Could someone give me some other things to check. It seems odd to me that it only does it every couple of years, very intermittent. Does any one have any ideas? I'll try to get a list of the parts that have been replaced and post back.

Thanks for the help!
MRT19

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-04, 11:46 PM
if it quits and will not start for 20 minutes it could be ignition related such as ignition module or pickup in the ditributer, maybe a fuel pump problem, just have to check for fire or fuel next time it occurs to see what it is losing.

Old 06-07-04, 04:16 PM
thanks

Thanks bejay, I'll just have to wait until it happens again and test everything.

Thanks,
MRT19