smoking

Old 06-07-04, 08:05 AM
matthew02
Visiting Guest
Cool 1999 Solara Smokes on start up

I own 1999 Toyota Solara SE. Lately it will frequently kick out a large amount of smoke when I start it up. This typically happens when it has been sitting for several hours, and doesn't seem to happen when it has been started several times a day.

Last edited by matthew02; 06-07-04 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-04, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Generally a sign of worn valve seals. Not a serious problem when it's only doing as you describe. You didn't say how many miles are on the vehicle, but you normally wouldn't see this on a Toyota before about 150k miles (my wife's '95 Camry doesn't do it and it has 170k+ on it). Talk to your favorite mechanic for a professional opinion and to see what the repair would cost; normally the repair can be done without pulling the heads and is fairly straightforward.

Old 06-08-04, 04:06 PM
I agree

Sounds like the valve seals to me also.However like said Toyota engines dont normally do this.Have you been keeping the oil clean?I had a 86 Toyota that did not use a drop of oil in over 200K miles.

Old 06-08-04, 04:24 PM
You didn't say weather its a 4 or 6....my guess its a 4 and common on that engine around 60k.

Whats the oil change history.....their is a Special Policy Adjustment concerning sludging or as they say geling.

Search this Thread