Reversed jumper cables-trusted a friend at the other end

Old 06-07-04, 10:24 AM
jed_in_swwa
Visiting Guest
Reversed jumper cables-trusted a friend at the other end

Have a 2001 SL-1 Saturn. A family member left the head lights on, so ..........
I went with a friend to jump start the car. The title tells what happened.
After getting the cables in the right positions, the starter will crank the engine,
all the instrument panel lights seem to work, but the engine will not run. I looked
through the fuses which have something to do with the fuel system, but the links
look like they are intact. There is at least a half a tank of gas in the car ( I even added
one more gallon). One thing I noticed on the dash was when I switched the key on
the fuel gauge did not move at all. My thought is that somewhere in the fuel delivery
system there is a fuseable link which has been blown. I have not taken the car in to
a shop yet, I want to know what could or could not have happened first.

One thing a different friend wants me to do is - disconnect the battery and then
turn the ignition switch on ( which should get rid on any residual charge in the system);
Then fully charge the battery and reinstall. If I'm lucky the car would work. At least I
can give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-04, 12:57 PM
Your probably on the right track with the fuseable link idea. You could have fried a module or two also.

Old 06-08-04, 09:03 AM
jed_in_swwa
Visiting Guest
Desi - bought a Haynes manual, looked through the schematic, no fuseable link. A friend helped me look through the car. All fuses, except the fuse for the radio, were
good. Jumped the car the right way, to check a few more things. The engine is getting
spark and there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail. So I think we narrowed it down to
the computer/module which controls the fuel injectors. So unless I am extremely lucky
and there is replaceable diode on the module, this will be a fairly expensive lesson.

Old 06-08-04, 09:11 AM
It could be set up without links but there would be some very large fuses in there place. 40, 60, 80, or 100 amp I don't remember what a Saturn uses.

Old 06-08-04, 09:27 AM
jed_in_swwa
Visiting Guest
They are called maxi fuses, there are a number of 30A fuses in the under the hood
fuse bay. None of them were blown. Thanks for the thought.