Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Buick Regal GS A/C Problem

Visiting Guest

06-07-04, 11:27 AM   #1  
DanaPointJohn
98 Buick Regal GS A/C Problem

I have a 98 Buick Regal GS with the pushbutton type of air conditioning system. Just this week the a/c has stopped blowing cold air. The fan blows only ambient air. The automatic feature works, the heater works, as does the temperature gauge. The digital read-outs also work.

Is there some troubleshooting/self-repairs I can do before I taking this to be repaired? Can someone please advise what could be causing this problem? (Fuse, compressor, loss of coolant, etc...?)

Thanks!

DanaPointJohn

Sponsored Links

06-07-04, 12:44 PM   #2  
I generally don't recommend A/C repairs for DIY's that aren't experienced in freon handling. Freon can be very dangerous if handled incorrectly. That being said, the first step would be to install a set of gauges and see what the ambient pressure is. If the pressure drops from lack of freon, the compressor is automatically cut off. You most likely have lost your freon through a leak and that has to be found. An A/C diagnostic and leak test is usually under $50 and that's what I'd recommend doing. You can make repair decisions after that.

06-07-04, 04:53 PM   #3  
You likely have a leak,common areas on Regals are the condenser and the pipes that run along the drivers inner fender.I agree with Desi on refrigerant handling it can be dangerous.Losing an eye or finger is not worth a few bucks in my opinion.However if you have guages you can check the pressure and give us readings and we will be able to tell you if it should run at those perssures.A switch may be bad on the low side but not real common on your car but it does happen.The chemical is a refrigerant not a coolant that makes a/c work.It is not freon either,freon is a Dupont trademark/name for their r-12 refrigerant.You have R134a refrigerant in your car.

Search this Thread