99 Taurus - Hard to change Power Steering Pump?

Old 06-07-04, 11:54 AM
99 Taurus - Hard to change Power Steering Pump?

The mechanic wants $280 to change the pump...the pump itself is $55...

Is this hard to do? The guys at auto zone said it's not and to save the money. Are their any website that detail this repair?

Or can anybody speak from experience? I'm all ears!

CB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-04, 12:39 PM
First of all, I doubt the pump your buying is $55. That might be the cost for the junk AutoZone sells but most reputable repairs shops wouldn't use that stuff. Your probably paying around 2 -2.5 hours which at $75 per would be about $187. It requires a special puller to remove the pressed on pully while in the car. Then you will have to remove the entire large bracket to gain enough clearance to get the pump out. After you've tried it, the $187 won't sound like much. Then if your $55 pump fails, which it probably will, you can do it all over again.

Old 06-07-04, 02:56 PM
Pound harder Desi...Last time I checked this was a forum where I could solicit help. I'm at the right website aren't I -> DoItYourself.com?

Attacking your competitor(AutoZone) and taking backhanded swipes at the "poster" does nothing but make me doubt your "certified" opinion!

I've rephrased your post (I feel like a 3rd grade teacher) into something that actually sounds like you've got "certified" credibility:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi CB:
Do me a favor - double check the price of that pump. The least expensive one we sell (I'm an ASC Cert...) is around $118. Cost is definitely a function of quality in the automobile repair business. Your also probably paying around 2 -2.5 hours which at $75 per would be about $187. It requires a special puller to remove the pressed on pully while in the car. Then you will have to remove the entire large bracket to gain enough clearance to get the pump out. After you've tried it, the $187 won't sound like much. And please think twice before trying this yourself, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next - get rid of the animation in your signature - it says "I have zero credibility". Put an ASC Logo in it's place. That says "I'm credible."

Do those simple steps in the future and you will sound the way I think you really want too!

Old 06-07-04, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=cooderbrown]...the pump itself is $55...

I don't think I've ever heard of a $55 pump even from AZ. If you really did find one for that price, make sure you get that "lifetime warranty." Like Desi says, you'll do it again.... and again.... and again.....
Pay the man and be done with it.

Old 06-07-04, 03:05 PM
Thanks PMG.

Old 06-07-04, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by cooderbrown
Attacking your competitor(AutoZone) and taking backhanded swipes at the "poster" does nothing but make me doubt your "certified" opinion!
I'm sorry, autoZone is not my competitor but merely a supplier that would like by business. I prefer quality to price for my customers.

Let me rephrase your answer

I appreciate your direct and truthful response. I realize now that I was getting a fair price for a quality part and I thank you for your informed input. It saved me a lot of grief attempting something I am not equipped for.

Now try that 3rd grade sarcasm on your doctor and see how he responds.

Old 06-07-04, 04:07 PM
If you feel comfortable changing the pump do so.I can buy an AC delco reman without resevouir for 54.99 with res for 64.99 you decide which is best.Make sure the puller and install tools are available to you or you will buy a pulley also making any savings lost.It's very likely you will break the return line pipe npple on the res and have to buy one so be prepared.Notice to all posters in this thread.ARGUEING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.If it continues I will close this thread.

Old 06-07-04, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=davo]I can buy an AC delco reman without resevouir for 54.99 with res for 64.99 you decide which is best.Make sure the puller and install tools are available to you or you will buy a pulley also making any savings lost.

I stand corrected! Two things - if you can get an A/C Delco for that price, stay far and away from "the guys at AutoZone." And go for the reservoir. For all of another 10 bucks, it would be dumb not to. Below is a link to a picture of the tool that you'll need. I'm not sure if you can rent these babies or not. Don't use the "kits" (bolt, washer, & nut) that come with some pumps - you'll be back to wishing you'd paid the other guy to do it.

P/S pulley puller & installer

Old 06-07-04, 09:22 PM
Thanks Davo and PMG - I appreciate your advice and the manner in which it was delivered!

And even if I buy the puller - I'm still ahead. Just can't afford $300 right now.

Thanks again.

CB