Frame Knocking in Mazda?

Old 06-09-04, 11:45 AM
AKrol
Visiting Guest
Frame Knocking in Mazda?

I own a 2001 Mazda 626 4-door sedan. Over the last year or so, my wife and I have noticed a knocking sound coming out of the rear end of the car. It almost sounds like something in the trunk is just rattling (i.e. spare tire, jack, etc.), but we've removed and secured everything and we still get the knocking noise. It's most prevelant going over bumps, railroad tracks, rough roads, etc. It seems to dissipate or even go away if there's a load in the trunk or if there are two or three people sitting in the back seat - it's loudest when there's just a driver and maybe a passenger.

Any ideas what may be causing this? The vehicle only has about 60,000 miles on it, and the knocking doesn't effect the performance of the ride (i.e. don't think it's the shocks/struts or anything to do with the wheels). It almost sounds as if some part of the internal frame itself is loose, but there's nothing evident from the outside or from the rear seat/trunk to indicate loose or broken parts. If anyone has any experience with this or insight as to what's causing it, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-04, 01:11 PM
Try looking at the rear strut/shock. (Whichever your vehicle is equipped with) I have seen where the top attachment point is slightly loose and under sharp bumps it causes a loud rattling noise. The strut/shock will extend completely in these conditions and any play in the bushings or bolts will cause a noise. The extra weight of passengers or a load in the trunk will lessen the travel of the strut/shock and result in elimination of the noise. Check over all of the bolts and bushings for wear.

Old 06-09-04, 01:32 PM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
I have this problem too

My Mazda ES 2001 is the same - 95,000 km so about same mileage on it as yours - the knocking only appeared at around 85K - will check out the recommendation and see if that works. Please let me know if you solve your problem! Peeth.