cooling system flush

Old 06-10-04, 03:42 AM
cooling system flush

The time has come to flush my 2003 Toyota Matrix cooling system as per maintenance schedule 30k miles. Dealer wants 100 bucks to do this. I guess they have a machine they power flush with.
I want to do it myself the old fashioned way drain. Put in water drain again, several times.(heater on).Is this good enough? I don't want to screw up my warranty.I will buy the coolant from them no problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-04, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Well, personally, I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for a "power flush" on a vehicle with only 30k miles on it; 130k maybe (my wife's '95 Camry w/170+k miles has only ever had the drain & refill treatment). My version would be to drain the radiator (and properly dispose of the used coolant) and refill with fresh fluid.

My $.02 worth.

Old 06-10-04, 02:18 PM
The problem with your way is that you never get that water out of the block and it drastically dilutes your coolant, probably beyond normal dilution. Also flushing that coolant on the ground without capturing it is HIGHY ILLEGAL and can get you in a whole lot of trouble, not to mention, kill all the neighborhood pets.

Old 06-10-04, 05:35 PM
Good point

I guess I will take it in as much as I hate to.I have always did it myself but I dont want any reason for them to say you did not flush so warranty is void.I dont think anything will happen but you never know.I also dont want to kill the neighbord cats but I use hundreds of gallons of water so I am sure it is dilluted to almost nothing.
Dog gone new cars I like them but on the other hand they are a pain.

Old 06-10-04, 06:40 PM
I will bet the warranty requires no more than drain and refill. If you can get to the block drain plug or plugs and drain the radiator your method will work fine.

The block drain plugs can be difficult to get to on some cars and some do not have drain plugs for the block.

With only 30K on a year old car even if you only drain the radiator and refill with a 50-50 mix if distilled water and the correct anti freeze I think you would be fine. If you did this once a year I would think you would have no future problems with the coolant.

Check with your local waste water dept. It is permissable in some areas to put anti freeze down the sanitary sewer system.

I think a power flush on a new low mileage car is a waste of money and a rip off by who ever is recomending it.

Be very careful to get the air out of the high point(s) in the system. If the temp gage starts to climb above where it usually runs shut it off because you have air in the system and you can damage the engine. Some cars have bleed screws at the thermostat housing or at other high points for this purpose. You can take a hose loose at a high point if needed to get the air out.

One way to be sure is to catch all coolant that you drain out, measure it and make sure the same amount goes back in. If not you have air in the system.

Do not be intimidated about doing it your self, just be careful.

Old 06-14-04, 06:52 AM
Cooling Flush

Just another thought. Even at $100 for the flush, if anything should go wrong, your dealership takes the blame and not you. $100 does sound excessive. Although some the advice given sounds fine. Are there any other dealerships in your area? Especially when warranty work needs to be done, you want to be confident about your shop and not feel like they are taking advantage of you for the nonwarranty work.

Old 06-15-04, 02:38 PM
just one dealer

Nope there is just one dealer close to here that has been servicing the car since I bought it from them.However there is a jiffy lube that does it for something like 39 dollars.However I dont know what kind of fluid they would use.If I had an idea at how it is done maybe I could go to jiffy lube with my gallon of genuine Toyota coolant.

Old 06-16-04, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Uh-oh, I'm leaving town. I smell an OEM Fluid vs. generic debate coming.......

Old 06-17-04, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by michael van
However there is a jiffy lube that does it for something like 39 dollars.
JIFFY LUBE?????????? Aaaaagggghhhhhhhh!

As Al Bundy would say: "Run fast, run far, run silent, run deep, but RUN!"

There is NO WAY I would EVER take a car of mine to Jiffy Lube, unless I wanted to kill it!

If you insist on doing the flush, go to the dealer and let them take the responsibility.

Matt

Old 06-18-04, 06:00 AM
I would stay away from JiffyLube too. My brother-in-law took his Volvo 740 Turbo to a local JiffyLube, and they broke the cap on his radiator. They overnighted a new radiator, from what he tells me they made him pay for it, and ever since then he had a pool of antifreeze under his car. He does not use the good sense God gave him because he continues to use JiffyJube with another car.

I personally take my cars to either the dealership, or the shop down the street where they know how to take care of cars, and love cars. They do good work, and I have never had any problems with repairs going bad. Look for a place like that.

Search this Thread