What can I use on my battery terminals?

Old 06-11-04, 09:07 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Question What can I use on my battery terminals?

I have an 88 Jeep Cherokee and every 6 months or so I need to clean the corrosion off of my terminals. It cakes up pretty bad. I have tried various greases to no avail. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 03:04 PM
Remove the cable a clean it very good with baking soda and water, then clean the post and cable end with a wire brush. After installing it, you can either coat it completely with grease of buy an aerosol sealer and coat it thoroughly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Additional footnote....Don't let any baking soda get into your battery. It will kill the acid in the battery just as fast as it cleans it on the outside.

Last edited by Desi501; 06-11-04 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 04:05 PM
I agree with Desi and maybe you could get a set of the little round pads to put on the posts before putting the cable back on.They also seem to help a little.

Old 06-11-04, 04:25 PM
I have not used it but if you have no baking soda I have heard that coke works to clean the corossion.

Old 06-11-04, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Things may go better with coke but the thing that gives it the zing is phosphoric acid. Acid + acid = no help. Baking Soda is the answer, as Desi501 suggests.

Old 06-12-04, 02:27 AM
What works amazing well before the baking soda is hot water. Takes off all the corrosion.