Need to remove Fan Shroud to access Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Old 06-11-04, 12:51 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Need to remove Fan Shroud to access Serpentine Belt Tensioner

The lowdown:

The serpentine belt tensioner wheel on my '92 Grand Marquis (4.6L, if that makes any difference) has seized up, and besides making a God-awful noise, has all but torn the old belt apart...it's half it's original width.

I think the wheel is off it's axle...at any rate, I can't properly access it until I get the fan shroud off...I took out the two screws at the top that attach it to the radiator, but the fan itself is preventing me from pulling the shroud up & out (the bottom rim gets caught up on the fan blades). Sooo...how would a professional go about resolving this problem? In my naivete, I feel I need to take the fan off, so I can pull out the shroud, so I can get at the belt tensioner. Is this the proper course of action, or does someone know a better/easier way (or, does anyone want more details about the setup/problem)? lol, I'm not going anywhere 'til I get it fixed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 02:25 PM
Well, IF your were to remove the shroud, yes the fan would have to come out simultaniously but you should be able to change the tensioner without removing either one. Things are tight but, welcome to our world.

Old 06-11-04, 02:29 PM
First off, I can't recall that car exactly, but I also don't recall ever having to remove a fan shroud to replace a belt tensioner. As Desi says, may be a tight fit, and you may have to go at it from underneath, but I'm sure it can be done without removing the shroud. If you do remove the shroud, then yes the fan has to come off too, barring a 2-piece shroud.

Old 06-13-04, 10:51 AM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Desi501
...Things are tight but, welcome to our world.

lol, I guess that pretty much sums it up. This'll be interesting; stay tuned, I'll prolly be back.

Old 06-21-04, 01:59 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Well, it was good advice...hehe, saved me a lot of dumb work. Since the belt was toast anyway, I just cut it, pulled out tensioner which was completely destroyed, called up a few junkyards and found a replacement off a an '88 Lincoln for $20. Other than the surprisingly (at least to me) expensive belt, things went well.

Thanks for telling me there was no reason to pull the shroud off!

Old 06-21-04, 02:10 PM
First, I'm glad you got it handled. Second, I'm glad you know how to do it now, because with a junkyard tensioner you'll likely be doing it again soon. Do yourself a favor and pick up a new one - that belt will be a lot more expensive X 2.

Old 06-23-04, 08:04 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
My car requires the $130 tensioner...it rolled off the line prior to June '92...Apparently this $130 tensioner comes with a lifetime warranty. This made me laugh; that warranty would undoubtedly last longer than the life of my car. It's got much bigger problems than a junkyard tensioner, and as you said, I know what to watch out for. If symptoms show, I might fix it right, but for now, it just has to get me through my last year of school.