Grand Prix Ignition Lock

Old 06-12-04, 11:44 AM
Grand Prix Ignition Lock

I have a friend who owns a 1998 Grand Prix with the 3.8 Litre engine. At times when she stops the car and tries to remove the key. she cannot remove it without restarting the car and or moving the shift lever. This is a recent development that has started over the last few weeks. It happens intermittantly but is becoming more often than not.

Also, and it may not be related, she has started having problems with the LED display on the radio/cd/equalizer unit. The nubmers are broken up and sometimes indicates the wrong information, instead of showing the radio station, it may be displaying the CD track number, CD time indicator, or even the wrong station number.

My first inclination is to disconnect the batter and reset the computer but thought I would check here first. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-04, 01:42 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
let me ask this is the lock in the dash or on the column. also if your going to disconnect the battery is there anything that is theft proof on the car. also how many keys are on her key ring. Don,

Old 06-12-04, 02:04 PM
Yes - it is the ignition key on the column. 2 keys on the key ring - car and house. And no, the key does not have a chip in it. The radio system is theft proof and she has the unlock code for it. The battery and starter were replaced within the last 6 months.

Old 06-12-04, 02:35 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
how long has this problem been going on. i'm willing to bet it might of been after the starter was put in. if it is anti theft there. is something that is supposed to be done to it but i'm not sure what it is. as for the key on the newer models they have eliminated the chips on the outside and have put a transponder on the inside of the head of the key. the chips on the outside are usally for a Vats system. GM now has i beleive a PASS sysytem. Don,

Old 06-12-04, 03:39 PM
Grand Prix key

The battery and alternater (not starter) were put in over 6 months ago. This problem just started.

Old 06-12-04, 04:07 PM
Your problem doesn't sound to be electronic at all. The shifter is connected to the ignition lock through a cable (assuming it's a floor shifter) so the ignition can lock it into park. There is likely an adjustment or wear problem in that mechanism and the shifter is not moving the lock linkage to the fully parked position and in turn jamming the lock.

Old 06-12-04, 05:18 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
WML13 you might want to go to this site http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and see if there are any reported problems like your friends. or any tsb's on it. Don,

Old 06-12-04, 05:48 PM
I agree with Desi that your friends problem is linked to the shifter cable. I would play with the shifter the next time it happens to see if you can get the key out without restarting the car.
Billy