Failed emissions twice, need help bad

Old 06-12-04, 05:12 PM
Failed emissions twice, need help bad

'90 Geo Tracker 5 speed 4WD 140K miles

I failed emissions on my inspection. So, the mechanic told me it was burning too many HCs & too much CO. Told me it was probably best to change the oil & the O2 sensor. So, I did that (actually the old O2 sensor had fused to the manifold so I had to replace that also), but it is still doing the same. Could there still be a problem with the O2 sensor? Or is there something else that causes this problem? On the second try, it was explained that I was emitting too much CO & HC's again. Also, the check engine light is on. The one and only code it gives is 23. When I looked that up, it says air temperature sensor. But, I was told that this would not affect the emissions much. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-04, 05:30 PM
McDann
Visiting Guest
It seems to me that a problem with the air charge temperature sensor circuit would affect the emission levels because the computer uses information from this sensor to calculate the fuel mixure.

Old 06-12-04, 05:43 PM
Did the inspector/mechanic offer to adjust the readings for you? What were your readings? I agree that the air temp sensor issue would possibly effect the emissions. What state are you in?
Billy

Old 06-12-04, 09:02 PM
Did the inspector/mechanic offer to adjust the readings for you?
Yes. He tried to get the RPMs so that the levels dropped, but it wasn't happening.

What were your readings?
If I remember correctly, HC = 230 & CO = 10 %...when he was adjusting with RPMs they dropped, but he said it wasn't low enough. I wasn't focuing on that, b/c I was really p'd about that $200 manifold that was all for nothing. Luckily I installed it (not to mention the fun of installing it). My fault anyways, I should've posted before listening to local theives.

What state are you in?
NC

It seems to me that a problem with the air charge temperature sensor circuit would affect the emission levels because the computer uses information from this sensor to calculate the fuel mixure.

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm on my way to the dealer Monday morning. Already checked at the local parts store. They didn't have a clue.

Old 06-13-04, 08:45 AM
I'm suprised that the HC's are not higher with 10% CO.You are burning rich big time to pull 10% CO.Emission machines only read up to 10% so it is very likely you will need new spark plugs after you repair the rich mixture and another oil change.On some vehicles a failed air charge temp sensor would cause very high CO.I would replace the sensor and see if the car runs better.It can't run properly with those readings and must be drinking gas.

Old 06-13-04, 10:23 AM
Adjusting the RPM's is not the proper way to fix the problem. You need real repairs. As Davo said the air temp sensor code you had is your first clue.
What part of NC? I am also in NC. You need a real mechanic to look at your car and fix it properly. Just adjusting things to make it pass the inspection is not any better for the environment than you driving around pumping the HC's and CO into the atmosphere as you are doing now.
Billy

P.S. I am not getting on your case, just annoyed at people (the mechanic) just doing the bare minimum to get you by!!!

Old 06-13-04, 09:24 PM
Emission machines only read up to 10%
Yeah, well then I was off the Ricter then. Unless I was high off of HC + CO = ?

It can't run properly with those readings and must be drinking gas.
I've actually been getting about 25 miles/gal. Thought I heard that a bad O2 sensor would drive up the gas milage.

What part of NC? I am also in NC.
I'm in Winston...about an hour away.

You need a real mechanic to look at your car and fix it properly.
Not a chance. That's like letting someone else service my woman.

At any rate, I'll take it in steps, the next logical step is the obvious, but that won't happen for a couple of days. I don't think I'll burn a hole in the ozone with my little tonka toy in the next couple of days.

You guys have been a great help. I'll let ya know what if the solves the problem.

Search this Thread