95 Astro Van Stalling is Fixed but

Old 06-12-04, 06:12 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
95 Astro Van Stalling is Fixed but

the check engine light still comes on. and when i went to park it and turned it off. the engine ran rough for a couple seconds kinda like it shook the whole van. the Iac was Replaced as Reccommended and the TBI cleaned out also a oil change tune up new air filter in it and fuel filter have been added. any suggestions as to what could be causing the rough idle after you turn off the van. Don,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-04, 03:38 AM
Look for a vacuum hose either broken or left off during the work.

Old 06-13-04, 03:56 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi Thank You and i will check for that. also the Check Engine Light is still coming on. any way i can fix it or get rid of it so i don't have to see it without putting a piece of Black Electrical Tape over it. Don,

Old 06-13-04, 07:36 AM
If you have a severe vacuum leak as I suspect you do, it will set a lean O/2 code so find the leak problem first and resolve it then have someplace like Autozone reset the codes. If it comes on after that, have the codes read and posted here because it's likely a totally new problem.

Old 06-13-04, 05:04 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi its a No Go on the Auto Zone here they only test 96 and Up Bummer Huh. i'll do the carberatour spray thing on the vacum lines. and is there anything else that might be wrong like electrical. it seems like the iac kinda did the trick. but the van is almost dying again but not completely like it has done before i was possibly thinking of a oxygen sensor. Don,

Old 06-13-04, 06:09 PM
That system, being a 95 is OBDI so you can just disconnect the battery to clear the code. The oxygen sensor is not causing that problem. Just look for a major vacuum supply line that is leaking. We're looking for a very large leak here. Now you did "replace" the IAC, not just clean it, right? Make sure it's plugged in.

Old 06-14-04, 11:57 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi yes the iac was replaced. i found part of the vacum lines but i think i might have to take off the doghouse to completely find them. i found the vacum lines on the drivers side but not the passengers side yet. Don,

Old 06-14-04, 02:57 PM
Yes, I would definately take off the doghouse. The hissing noise should be real obvious with the engine running.
While your in there, make sure the throttle cable isn't wrapped incorrectly (off the track)

Last edited by Desi501; 06-14-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 06:39 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi will do I just hope i can find them No Books here Their Borrowed out. Don,

Old 06-17-04, 07:04 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
have not found a leak. any other suggestions. Don,

Old 06-17-04, 09:18 AM
If you can't find any reason that might have been caused by the mechanic, it will only leave a defective IAC. Exhaust all other possibilities first. That includes any type of vacuum leak possibly from a hose left off, a sensor left unplugged or anything binding in the throttle cable or linkage . Sometimes when you open the throttle to clean the TBI, the cable jumps off the track and binds. One other remote possibility is to disconnect the battery to reset all the adaptives to let it relearn the idle strategy.

Old 06-17-04, 07:06 PM
If this is an OBD-I vehicle, why not jumper the diagnostic connector and see what code you get? Maybe then we can point you in the right direction.

Matt

Old 06-18-04, 01:11 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
smogtek the engine has been diagnosed but it was giving out a code 32 which the Mech says is the EGR. right now the engine shakes and dies at about evrey other stop. i think the shaking should be caused by a vaccum leak but darned if i can find it. or could it be something electrical like Battery etc. Don

Old 06-18-04, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by thekeymaker
right now the engine shakes and dies at about evrey other stop.
That's not what you described in your original post.

Originally Posted by thekeymaker
the check engine light still comes on. and when i went to park it and turned it off. the engine ran rough for a couple seconds kinda like it shook the whole van.

Old 06-18-04, 06:10 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
The Shaking Just Began Yesterday. if i knew about it before hand i would of posted it. with it shaking can that mean it is a Vaccum Leak. Don,

Old 06-18-04, 11:43 PM
a vacum leak can cause the engine to miss but it depends on where it is located it would have to be leaning out one cylinder to usually cause a miss any centrally located vacum leak will usually just cause a fast idle on a map sensor equiped vehicle like this one, on other models that would be equiped with a maf sensor any vacum leak would cause a lean condition as it would not be metered through the maf sensor.
if this is the vortec engine the egr sticking open with carbon is a common problem and may be removed and cleaned is usually all that is required. and to prevent future problems they do make gaskets with a screen that keep chunks of carbon from getting into the egr and causing it to stick open I would call around different parts stores to see if you can find one of these gaskets if this is the case, to prevent it from happening again.

Old 06-19-04, 12:07 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
bejay any chance on getting a name or part number from one of those gaskets with the screens. Don,

Old 06-19-04, 12:16 AM
here is one company that makes one there may be others dont know for sure, these is the brand that i usually use unfortuanately no parts store carries it locally around here so it may be difficult to find.
http://www.tomco-inc.com/