1998 Nissan Maxima

Old 06-12-04, 06:52 PM
gp1
Visiting Guest
1998 Nissan Maxima

Does anyone here have any ideas on how to get into a locked up Maxima with a dead battery? Car belongs to a relative. For whatever reason the key won't unlock the door and the doomaflotchy on the key ring won't unlock the doors either. Have replaced battery in doomaflotchy to no avail. Is there someplace on car that you can hook up a charger or place to hook up jumper cables to get some juice to the battery?

TIA
gp1

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-04, 03:42 AM
If you could access the hood latch from through the grill or underneath, you may be able to open the hood but that will take a little ingenuetly to accomplish. I don't understand why you can't open the door with the key though. There's nothing electrical there. Unless your using the wrong key, it has to open at least one of the doors.

Old 06-13-04, 06:54 AM
gp1
Visiting Guest
The key thing is what I don't understand either. The key is badly worn, but it turns the lock cylinder. Since they are power door locks, I thought maybe even with the key you would need some voltage to operate the solenoids. If that is the case, then there should be someplace under body to attach battery or charger.

Thanks
gp1

Old 06-13-04, 07:44 AM
No, no power necessary to unlock with a key. The wear in the key may be the problem. If you have another key, try that. If not, just keep playing with the key until it opens. If all else fails, call a lock-out service. Down here we have a service called "Pop-a-Lock" that will come out to open "lock outs" for about $30

Old 06-13-04, 09:11 AM
gp1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks Desi for your help. Yesterday when I tried the key in the door lock, I could have sworn the key was turning the cylinder. But when I tried it again a little while ago, I couldn't get lock cylinder to turn. It is awful to get old. Can't remember diddly. I jiggled the key as you suggested on the drivers side door, but cylinder seemed a little sloppy. So, I tried passenger door side. Jiggled and jiggled and wallah*, got passenger door open.

Thanks again
gp1
WV

Old 06-13-04, 09:58 AM
Time to get some fresh keys made, huh?

Search this Thread