UPDATE: 91Mustang... smoke from back seat

Old 06-16-04, 03:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: 91Mustang... smoke from back seat

I think I finally found the solution to this perplexing problem. The original post can be read by going to...
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=169477

What seems to have been the culprit was a faulty Ignition Control Module. It would work fine most times but intermittently would not let the front ignition coil fire.

As was explained to me, apparently the front coil fires plugs with intake and rear coil fires with exhaust on each cylinder. With exhaust plugs firing and intake not was creating increasing hotter gases going into the exhaust system. Anyway, have replaced the module and everything working really well for now. Thanks for all the responses,
Dennis

Old 06-16-04, 08:58 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update on this head scratcher
Who'd a thunk an Ignition Control Module could melt a back seat?

Old 06-17-04, 05:26 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slickshift
Thanks for the update on this head scratcher
Who'd a thunk an Ignition Control Module could melt a back seat?
Ain't that the truth. It took me awhile to come to that conclusion. I would drive the car locally every day waiting for it to repeat and checking things when it did. The one thing that stayed constant thru this whole ordeal was when the engine was running properly the exhause temp was fine. Even when missing the exhaust would be rough of course but flow seemed fine. ONLY time I had a problem was when the front coil quit firing and then the exhaust temp would climb very rapidly. Knowing I had replaced both coils not long ago I removed and had them tested two different times and each time they tested fine so I moved on down the circuit and removed and tested the DIS Module and it failed both times.

Jeremy (jthompson) on this board also touched on something another Mustanger locally also mentioned. This is a problem with some mustangs around this time and mostly seems to be the 2.3L that has seperate plugs for intake and exhaust on each cylinder. When the intake plugs aren't firing properly and exhaust are it can build dangerously high heat into the exhaust system very rapidly.

Anyway, seems to be fixed at this point but will continue to monitor it myself for the rest of the week before giving back to my daughter.
BIG THANKS again to everyone for the help.
Dennis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: