Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

towing a 94 camaro

06-14-04, 06:41 PM   #1  
towing a 94 camaro

Can I tow a 94 camaro frontwards {front wheels up on a dolly type trailer] for a long distance without removing the driveshaft or worrying about transmission problems arising? thank you

Sponsored Links

VA

06-14-04, 07:16 PM   #2  
if it has a manual transmission, you can put it in neutral and tow it with the rear wheels on the ground, but GM does not recommend long distance. Auto trans should not be towed with the driveshaft in.

06-15-04, 03:43 AM   #3  
Even with the driveshaft removed, an extreme long distance would still be an issue for the differential. It will put some wear into the back side of the gears doing that.

06-15-04, 04:09 PM   #4  
thanks

Thanks guys for your input. Actually,what happened is, the car is wrecked on the front end, undrivable, so we sold it on ebay. The guy who bought it said he was travelling 900 miles to get it and he would just rent a 2 wheeled dolly to pull it home. I guess if he calls ahead before he gets here Ill inform him of what you guys told me, then he can decide for himself what he wants to do. He nneds to just rent a full trailer, but hey, once he hands over the cash and we sign the title, its his baby right? I figure maybe all he wants is the vin number off of it anyway...???

Group Moderator

FL

06-16-04, 04:59 AM   #5  
Welcome fellow tow guy, Towman.

I second (or third) what they said. On vehicles that ARE towable on the drive wheels (and we tow guys are normally reluctant to do it unless absolutely necessary) the limitation is generally <35 mph and a maximum of 50 miles over the LIFE of the vehicle. On some vehicles this applies to BOTH auto and manual trans

NH

06-16-04, 07:28 AM   #6  
I used to be in the towing industry, and there are some towers out there that are just clueless. Had to get the wifes 2000 Rodeo 4x4 automatic towed to the dealer a while back, the guy that came out (with a standard wheel lift) was going to tow it from the rear (for over 15 miles no less), had it hooked up ready to roll when I went outside. When I told him to drop it and carry his butt he got upset for some reason, I took a few minutes to explain his lack of knowledge to him and told him to call his dispatch and send out a rollback.

Search this Thread