Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brakes - general questions

06-15-04, 02:55 AM   #1  
Brakes - general questions

How long should brakes typically last? I have a 2003 Plymouth minivan with 17000 miles on it. My wife was told by the dealer that it needs new pads. This seems early to me.

Is the amount of brake dust appearing on the hubcaps an indication that the brakes are going bad? These put out quite a bit of dust.

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links

06-15-04, 03:35 AM   #2  
The one biggest determining fact to how long brakes last is the driver and their driving habits. 17K is very early but not unheard of with a very aggressive driver. I've seen front brakes wear out as early as 20K or with another driver in the same vehicle, last as long as 100K. I would bet that the dealer is a little premature with this one though. Ask to see the wear yourself. If the pad had 1/8" or more, it's too early. Even that is leaving a bit of padding.

06-15-04, 02:29 PM   #3  
I agree with Desi, although I have noticed a pattern of premature failure on Chrysler minivans 2000 and up. I've seen them on their 3rd set of pads at 35k. Do as Desi said, look for yourself. And then get another opinion.

06-15-04, 03:28 PM   #4  
So...how long should brakes last, under "normal" driving conditions?

And does the amount of brake dust on the wheels indicate anything related to how much life is left in the brakes?

Thanks, guys,

Jon

06-15-04, 03:32 PM   #5  
Posted By: Jonre So...how long should brakes last, under "normal" driving conditions?

And does the amount of brake dust on the wheels indicate anything related to how much life is left in the brakes?

Thanks, guys,

Jon
All brake pads will leave dust as they wear. The amount of dust you see is an indication of just how fast that material is wearing off. The more you see, the faster the brakes are wearing.

Search this Thread