2001 Ford Taurus Lower Ball Joints

Old 06-15-04, 12:04 PM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
2001 Ford Taurus Lower Ball Joints

I need to replace my lower ball joints on a 2001 Ford Taurus. I got the Haynes manual and was looking over this project. The manual does not cover the deatials of replacing the ball joint, my questions are as follows;

What do I need to remove in order to replace the lower ball joint, I know I need to remove the hub assembly, tie rod, disconnect the speed sensing cable, as well as, control arm.

Do I need to remove the strut from the knuckle, or rotate out while I am removing the CV joint from the steering knuckle.

Any help would be appreciated, especially detailed outline. I do have all the necessary tools to do the job.

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-04, 02:23 PM
You shouldn't need to remove the hub or the tie rod for that matter. Take the joint loose from the knuckle, pull the cv joint out of the hub, get them both out of the way, knock the old joint out, press the new one in.

Old 06-15-04, 03:58 PM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, I am some what confused. Are you saying that if the control arm is loosened from the lower joint that I will be able to swing the knuckle from the CV joint without having to remove any of the tie rods or the hub.

I thought everything is bolted down and it would be impossible to shake the CV joint from the knuckle.

What am I missing.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-15-04, 05:03 PM
I'll see if I can remember it play-by-play. Remove the brake components (calipers and rotors), take the spindle nut off the cv joint. You should be able to knock the joint shaft loose from the hub splines with a mallet. If you have to use a hammer, be very careful of the threads. The cv joint should come approx. 2/3 of the way out of the hub before you separate the ball joint from the knuckle. Once you have the cv shaft pushed in as far as it will go, separate the ball joint stud from the knuckle. You can usually do this with a few sharp smacks on the knuckle with a hammer. Once you have the taper on the ball joint stud broken loose, you simply jack up the control arm until the stud clears the knuckle. Once you have the knuckle free of the joint, and the cv shaft free of the knuckle, tie them both back up out of the way. I can't remember if the speed sensor interferes, if it looks like it does, disconnect it. Just remember to reconnect when you're putting it back together. The ball joint has a snap ring on the top side of the control arm. Remove that, smack it out with a hammer (or press it out). You will need a ball joint press to install the new one. Reverse the procedure to put it back together.

Old 06-15-04, 06:54 PM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, one last clearification. When I am putting the new ball joint into the knuckle, I wil need to insert the new ball joint from the top into the knuckle (thread facing downward) , then press the ball joint in from the top towards the ground or the control arm, then place the clip into the ball joint. then reconnect all other components. Is this correct.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike

Old 06-16-04, 03:28 AM
Actually, the ball joint should install from the bottom side of the control arm if I remember right. You'll be able to tell once you have it apart.

Old 06-16-04, 04:52 AM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, The reason I am asking is that the new ball joint I have has the lip on the top of the non threaded side, and smooth all the way to the boot, then comes thes thread side.

In addition, since it is removed in the direction of the strut or away from the control arm, that would mean that the joint will have to be inserted and pressed in a downward poisition.
Is my logic correct here.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-16-04, 09:47 AM
You may be right, it's been a while. Obviously, it's only going to come out and go back in in one direction. However it came out, just reverse the procedure.

Old 06-16-04, 04:14 PM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help, I will be doing the work tomorrow. I will post back how it went.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 06-16-04, 06:35 PM
No sweat and good luck.