Daewoo Leganza Broken timing belt,bent valves

Old 06-15-04, 01:45 PM
rejuvenator
Visiting Guest
Cool Daewoo Leganza Broken timing belt,bent valves

I have a 2000 Daewoo Leganza with the 2.2 twin cam that lost a timing belt at 68000 miles and bent 8 valves. After tracking down all the parts and getting it all back together, I have major tappet noise, It is like a few of the hydraulic lifters are stuck in the compressed mode and won't pump up. Can anyone relate to this?

Rejuvenator

Last edited by rejuvenator; 06-15-04 at 01:48 PM. Reason: more clarity
Old 06-15-04, 03:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could have missed some more bent valves. I'm really surprised you found any parts for that thing.

Old 06-15-04, 06:58 PM
rejuvenator
Visiting Guest
I did my homework after teardown. The isuzu rodeo 2.2 is ths same basic GM
engine and parts are the same except for air plenums and some external plumbing. The valves are easy to find and so is a complete gasket set for the head rebuild. Water pump is isuzu from o'reillys. The rest is detective work.

The valves themselves told the story under a magnifier. The belt broke at start up from a light,so the rpms were low. A compression test shows 135lb
per cyl and the engine does not miss at all. I had the idea that a lifter or two may have been jammed stuck, but with no way to test them out of the engine
and a stethescope is useless, the only alternitive for me is order a whole set of 16 from a place in Utah, $166.00. 40 weight oil is my next step after putting the cams and belt and cover back on. Maybe that will pump up the lazy lifters.

Old 06-16-04, 06:50 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you bent 8 valves on that motor, you likely collapsed 8 lifters too, either completely or partially. And all the 40wt. in the world won't put Humpty together again. Not trying to be a smarta**, but why would you not replace them while you were there? They should be easy enough to check with the v/c off too. If I were you, I'd get the set - 10 bucks a pop is pretty cheap for lifters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: