Alternator Reading!

Old 06-17-04, 01:32 PM
aedgarg
Visiting Guest
Alternator Reading!

Thanks in advance for your help. I have a 99 f 150 truck 5.4lt v8 ford. For awhile my battery indicator (red image of battery) would come off and on. I took my vehicle to the nearest dealer two hours away. $685.00 dollars later the light continued to come on. I was told a load test was done and that the battery was good. A day later my truck surged the all electrical was lost. The batteries "eye" was red so i replaced it with a new one. Two days later, today, it lost all charge as i was driving home. I have a reading of 10 volts at the posts, (after i had let the car sit for ten minutes). What is the reading that i should have at the Alt. when i start the vehicle, or is there another area to check?

Old 06-17-04, 03:56 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With the truck running you should read between 13.5 and 14.7 volts measured across the battery terminals.What pray God did they charge $685 for?I think those folks would be getting a phone call if it were me.If the voltage is not within those specs it's not charging which I suspect due to the symptoms you have mentioned.You may have a wiring problem causing this but I would not let that dealer off the hook after that amount of money.You paid them for diagnosis and repair and got nothing in return.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: