Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air Conditioner in a semi

Visiting Guest

06-17-04, 03:49 PM   #1  
Sandmanz48
Air Conditioner in a semi

My husband drives a 1996 International. Ita a conventional. He" been trying to find out the cause of the following:The fan clutch kicks the breaker off.
What could be the cause of this. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated. It has been in the 90"s all week and it is really hot when you drive a big truck and have to load and unload. Thanks for any input you can give him.
Sincerely, Samdmanz48undefinedundefined

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-17-04, 03:53 PM   #2  
Sandmanz48
Posted By: Sandmanz48 My husband drives a 1996 International. Ita a conventional. He" been trying to find out the cause of the following:The fan clutch kicks the breaker off.
What could be the cause of this. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated. It has been in the 90"s all week and it is really hot when you drive a big truck and have to load and unload. Thanks for any input you can give him.
Sincerely, Samdmanz48undefinedundefined
I would appreciate any help you can give us. He is a very hard worker. He just had a new radiator installed and two months ago he had the truck overhauled. Big Bucks. Any help would be appreciated.

06-17-04, 04:26 PM   #3  
Are you saying the radiator fan clutch is controlled electronically or do you mean the a/c compressor is kicking the breaker out?Let us know because it makes a differance.

Visiting Guest

06-17-04, 05:19 PM   #4  
Sandmanz48

I believe the a/c compressor is kicking the breaker off. The fan clutch. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for replying. Sandmanz.

06-17-04, 05:34 PM   #5  
Posted By: Sandmanz48 I believe the a/c compressor is kicking the breaker off. The fan clutch. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for replying. Sandmanz.
You have to be talking about the A/C compressor clutch because the fan clutch is not electrical in any way.
This can be caused by a short anywhere in the clutch circuit or it could be a bad coil in the compressor. The easiest way to isolate it is to unplug the compresser and then turn the system on and see if it blows the breaker then. If it doesn't, the clutch coil is bad. If it does still blow it, the problem is elsewhere in the circuit and you'll need a schematic to determine all the possibilities.

Search this Thread