Headlights 1998 Grand Prix

Old 06-18-04, 05:13 PM
Headlights 1998 Grand Prix

I have to aim the headlights on a 1998 Grand Prix. There appears to be 2 reverse (female) torx screws on either side of the lamp assembly that are connected to a threaded horizontal rod going back toward the engine compartment on either side. I am assuming that turning these reverse torx screws would accomplish the aiming process, but wanted to check here first.

Last edited by WML13; 06-18-04 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-04, 04:00 AM
Yes those screws are the adjusters.I don't understand how you can aim them properly without headlight adjusting equipment though.Aiming them at a wall or garage door won't even be close because slope needs to be considered.Call around and ask for prices on adjustment it's usually fairly cheap and they will be aimed properly.In some states you can be fined for headlamps not aimed properly.Where I live it could cause you to fail a safety inspection required yearly by law.

Old 06-19-04, 04:44 PM
Aiming Headlights

Thanks for the reply. I was confused because the female torx inserts had been stripped out of the adjuster and the adjuster itself was frozen. I used some WD40 and tapped the ends of the horizontal threaded rods with a plastic mallet. That freed them up enough to turn with a plier and make the adjusters work. I used Popular Mechanic's headlight aiming procedure to get it going. (PopularMechanics.com Car Care Saturday Mechanic) It worked great for me. I hear you on the proper aiming equipment, but had to move fast. Thanks again!