Auto A/C went warm all of a sudden

Old 06-18-04, 07:41 PM
Auto A/C went warm all of a sudden

Hello,

had my A/C recharged 3-4 weeks ago and it's been quite sweet and cold ever since. Up until this afternoon. Before then it was blowing quite nicely but then on my last long trip of the day, it only blew warm air, that is, as soon as i started the car.

Mind you the weather's been extremely warm and humid today. Yet right now it's cool outside and the car's still blowin' warm air.

I checked for coolant and it seems quite fine.

Any suggestions before I head on over to some mechanic?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-04, 11:26 PM
by far the most common cause would be a slow leak in the system and that you have lost enough freon to where it no longer blows cold air, but there can be lots of other possibilities also, suggest going back to the shop where you had it filled or a different one if you wish and see what they find. as a/c work requires alot of equipment and is not really a do it yourself repair.

Old 06-19-04, 02:31 AM
Simply recharging an A/C system never fixes anything. The system has a leak and needs to be repaired. You may have also develeped an electrical problem too but that leak isn't going away.

Old 06-19-04, 05:16 AM
thanks folks,

and yah, after much research, 'A Leak' seems to pop up pretty often amongst answers to folks with similar problems.

I just never thought a leak could empty it out so quickly.

OK, now a stupid question:

I'd already tried research on the breakdown on parts and such...but I keep turning up empty on what I'm looking for.

SO: There's an actual A/C there, right? and if so, then replacing it 'en whole' would be very costly? I see lot's of references to the compressor, which I suppose is yet another component. I'd hate to go someplace, spend tons of money having the leaks checked out and patched just so they turn around and tell me that, OH, sorry, but there seems to be something wrong with the compressor also. (which only equates to more money).

I'm guessing the answer to my own question is to just go someplace I THINK I CAN TRUST, and who's got experience? Right?

Last edited by cyberfyber; 06-19-04 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-19-04, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by cyberfyber
SO: There's an actual A/C there, right? and if so, then replacing it 'en whole' would be very costly? I see lot's of references to the compressor, which I suppose is yet another component. I'd hate to go someplace, spend tons of money having the leaks checked out and patched just so they turn around and tell me that, OH, sorry, but there seems to be something wrong with the compressor also. (which only equates to more money).

I'm guessing the answer to my own question is to just go someplace I THINK I CAN TRUST, and who's got experience? Right?
Right.....
The A/C system consists of several components. Compressor, condensor, evaporator, expansion valve, and on.

Old 06-19-04, 12:36 PM
The system has 3 major components and a few smaller ones. Most of the time your problem lies in at least one of the three big ones.
Compressor
Evaporator
Condenser
It also has a small metal can containing desicant that should be changed whenever the system is opened. Now you add the evacuate and recharge along with the cost or refrigerant and you've spent(at least) over $500 regardless which component it is. The components are in different locations in the car so there really is no such thing as replacing the whole air conditioner as many people think they have after a major repair.

Old 06-20-04, 08:12 AM
As Desi said, more often than not one of those three major components is the culprit. Depending on the vehicle there are several feet of hard and flexible lines than can leak (or become damaged to cause the leak). The best thing to do now is to have it evacuated and recharged with the addition of dye to aid in finding the leak in the very near future. If you have a leak and yoy take it to an A/C shop then they should be able to find it given the time to look for it.
If I cant find a leak on the first visit with an A/C concern I recommend an Evac and Recharge, Add dye and drive it for a few days and then return for the leak test. Then all I have to do it take out the light or sniffer and walla...
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 06-20-04, 09:07 AM
Okay, great I'm learnin' more and more. Just looked up what the sniffer is and learned about the UV Light.

But how do they actually fix the leak? Do they use a sealant? or what? or does it depend upon the mechanic doing the work?

Would I be overstepping myself in telling them how I'd want any leaks taken care of? or does experience rule and I should just step back and let them take over?

Also, as previously mentioned, it all seemed to happened quite quickly. The A/C was cool (not freezing like before) in the morning then Woof! Gone! Could that be a sign of something else in addition to a leak?

Old 06-20-04, 09:11 AM
The UV light and the sniffer are tools for detecting the leak. They do not fix anything just detect it. The procedure for repairing the leak depends on the component that is leaking. IF it went as fast as you say then there should at least be an oily spot near the leak. If Dye was installed at the last recharge then you are a step ahead of the game. The tech should be able to find the leak with either one of the aforementioned tools.
Billy

Old 06-20-04, 02:05 PM
thanks everyone for the input....and no, I wasn't implying that the sniffer or UV Light fixed anything. I'm simply asking how "Do They" fix the leak so that I'll know if there's more than one way and if one way is better than another.

thus back to what I'd asked......do they use a sealant? or what?

again thanks everyone.

Old 06-20-04, 02:55 PM
There is only one way to repair a leak. Replace the leaking component. Don't even try anything like a sealer, it will just mess up the rest of the system.

Old 06-25-04, 02:54 PM
whokares2
Visiting Guest
I don't see where anyone has suggested you first turn it on and see if the clutch is engaging. You might have simply blow the compressor fuse!

Old 06-25-04, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
You may have also develeped an electrical problem too but that leak isn't going away.
We did advise that he may have an electrical problem now but he won't get anywhere for long ignoring the leak.

Old 06-30-04, 06:48 PM
Thumbs up

Okay,

I'm back and would like to start by stating the obvious: What an invaluable service all you people are providing to "know nothings" like myself when it comes to autos, BUT I'M LEARNING.

My brother-inlaw took a look with me today for an auto 101 lesson underneath the hood. He's the type that once he gets started, well.....

He determined that there WAS a blown fuse which he corrected with a spare one I had underneath the dash. After that we were on our way to fixing the loose A/C belt. NOW I KNOW how that gets tightened! hmmmmmm.

After that there was squealing, but that was quickly fixed with some lubricant.

SO, in the end, my car is back to the refrigerator on wheels it was 2-3 weeks ago. He thinks there isn't any leak anywhere and that the guy at the SHELL Station who told me I needed a new compressor was only after my wallet.

I'm quite happy now. Again, thanks people!

Old 07-01-04, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by cyberfyber
Okay,
SO, in the end, my car is back to the refrigerator on wheels it was 2-3 weeks ago. He thinks there isn't any leak anywhere and that the guy at the SHELL Station who told me I needed a new compressor was only after my wallet.
I would be nice if that were true but I really doubt it. How do you answer these questions
1) Where did the original refrigerant go to?
2) What blew the compressor fuse?
Also, the belt slipping may not have been a coincidence. A laboring compressor could very well have contributed to that AND the fuse issue. Time will tell. You found the symptoms but not the cause.

Old 07-01-04, 05:33 AM
Thanks as always for your input Desi501.

Hmmmmm, what the options as to where the refrigerant could've gone to?

'and yes, I think he believes as do I from a common sense standpoint that it WAS the compressor that blew the fuse since at the very beginning, the day following the recharge, there was plenty of squealing (due to loose belt?). Thus, I didn't use the A/C for over a week or two, until one morning out of chance, and HEAT, I decided to try it and the sound was gone. I then went on with it (okay, yah, probably a bad move on my part).

Then a week later the fuse went.

So in order of cause and effect:
loose belt > compresor not engaging > squealing > blown fuse

and yah, time will tell. Unfortunately, the guy's garage that did the recharge closed shop as of the day following the job done, and is still closed. So much for that and lesson learned.

Search this Thread