broken bolt

Old 06-19-04, 05:19 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down broken bolt

i am replacing the clutch packs in by bronco's rear axle and one of the bolts snapped off during removal (below the surface of diff) and just to make it worse this is my only car and it is a walk to parts store any tips on removing it would be helpfull ps i do not have a torch at home only at work and unless thre is no other options i will not just temp fix till i get there

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-04, 05:30 PM
do this

Go get a tool called a EZ out you drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt install the EZ out with has a backwards griping action fluke and back it out.
Tip soak the broken bolt first with some rust buster for a little while.
So the tools you will need is an EZ out the proper size drill a drill motor a pair of good vice grips a hammer and some saftey glasses.

Old 06-19-04, 05:33 PM
Forgot

Drill deep you do not want to snap the EZ out this is a real pain if you do.Depends on the size bolt but a number 2 is pretty good for most things a number 3 is for bigger bolts.

Old 06-19-04, 08:11 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

thanx for the info but there is more info i left out and did not realize the importance of till now
First is the bolt is one of the top 3 and is directly in front of the gas tank (within a foot roughly, to close to fit my drill cordless or corded)

Second is the bolt is at a guess around a 1/4 to 5/16. how do the numbers go, the lower the number the smaller or the other way around
I have not needed to use an easy out since high school (about ten years ago) so this could be disasterous since the last time was when my dad wanted to make sure my valve cover bolts were tight after i finished and he snapped a bolt and well long story short after got it out found he drilled into a water jacket and my car became a rolling fog bank

Old 06-20-04, 03:35 AM
Darn

yep that is a problem there are air drills out there that you can screw threaded bits into at a 90 degree angle but they are high dollar and I dont think you will find the bits at the parts store.You might have to lower the diff by removing the rear spring bolts. .I assume you are on jacks already cause if not you might get the clearance you need by doing so and unloading the rear leaf springs.
EZ out numbers go from 1 being smaller then a 2 the bigger the number the bigger the EZ out.Maybe someone else can help just be patient.

Old 06-20-04, 04:11 AM
If it's just a bolt holding the cover on just rtv the gasket and leave the broken bolt alone it won't leak if you let the rtv dry for about an hour.

Old 06-20-04, 07:53 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
new problem

got the clutches shimd and spacers and pinion gears with washers in but cannot get the differential clutch preload spring in the directions from ford and mitchel say tap in with a soft faced hammer ....a jack hammer maybe??

Old 06-25-04, 08:39 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
thanx to those who tried to help found out the tool i need is over a grand from otc (the only manufacturer) so am gonna finish installing the new axle tomorow