Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power steering leak

CANADA

06-20-04, 02:23 PM   #1  
Power steering leak

My 89 Ford Tempo has a P/S fluid leak. I found the location of this leak on a large curved 1/2" metal tube just on top of the rack and pinion.My Ford dealer says that this tube is obsolete and is not sold as a unit with the return line.They say that this year model comes with either the Ford rack or the TRW rack and I dont know wich one it is. Since there is little pressure(50PSI) could I just cut the bad portion of the metal tube and replace it with a rubber hose held in place with clamps.I removed the air box to take a better look at it and there isn't much space to work on. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links

06-20-04, 02:52 PM   #2  
Posted By: P.A.T. Since there is little pressure(50PSI) could I just cut the bad portion of the metal tube and replace it with a rubber hose held in place with clamps.
If it is truly the return line, yes you could because it carries a lot less than 50PSI but if it is the pressure line, no. You could also remove the line and braze the hole over.

Search this Thread