Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water in the oil

OR

06-21-04, 08:19 AM   #1  
Water in the oil

I've got a 1994 4-cyl, chev engine which I carelessly let freeze last winter. Now water in the oil. My mechanic ran a block sealer through it and it has improved but there is still some water where it should not be -

As you may have guessed, I'm trying to get by without replacing the engine. Would another block sealer treatment help? Any other ideas?

This engine is in a boat so replacement is VERY expensive.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

06-21-04, 10:09 AM   #2  
It's a band-aid at best; basically rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Probably a worse gamble on a boat than in a car since you could be in a bad situation with no propulsion available if it lets go.

06-21-04, 01:48 PM   #3  
The only thing in your favor is that you don't have a radiator for the sealer to destroy. A crack will expand and contract with temperature and the sealer is just snake oil. I've said it before "There is no such thing as mechanic in a can". Those product make someone rich but fix very little. Bite the bullet and buy a new block.

Search this Thread