loose steering column - 91 jeep cherokee

Old 06-21-04, 03:25 PM
collectorrick
Visiting Guest
loose steering column - 91 jeep cherokee

I have recently noticed that the steering column on my 91 Jeep Cherokee has become loose. The column is adjustable up and down for whomever is driving. Is this something I can fix myself (possibly a loose nut?), or do I need to take it to a repair shop? If I can fix it myself, how do I get access to the inside of the steering column?

Thanks for any help....

Rick

Old 06-22-04, 04:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have 4 loose inverted torx bolts.Several special tools would be required to repair this problem.If you have an air bag it is not something I suggest you don't attempt to repair due to safety reasons.If you don't have an airbag post back and I will try to lead you through it but be forwarned it is not an easy task to reassemble the clolumn properly and I will not be able to describe everything to the detail needed to complete the task.You will need to pay attention to how you took it apart very specifically.Let me know what you want to do.Most shops charge about 2 hours to repair this problem.

Old 06-22-04, 05:12 PM
retiredtse
Visiting Guest
Question I have same problem with 1990 Cherokee

I need to adjust the tension on the steering collum as it is very loose (up and down movement ) it locks when you adjust but still has a lot of movement in any posision., no air bag and have some knowlege of R&R on other items but would apreciate any info/help you could give me on this problem. Especially removal and adjustment.

Thanks

Old 06-24-04, 05:23 PM
L
I had a '95 Cherokee that the return spring inside of the tilt column broke 3 times. I had to take mine to the dealer to have it fixed each time. It was a company vehicle so I never got that excited about fixing it.

Here's to hoping that your truck doesn't smell like the inside of an athlete's tennis shoe like all 4 of mine did! The dealer told me that he has a guy full time that fixes Cherokee leaks. They even had to change my carpet and pad in one. Leaky windshield, leaky firwall, leaky rear hatch, leaky stationary side windows...

'87 Cherokee (leaker, continuous tranny mount eater, saggy rear springs)
'90 Cherokee (leaker, broken front springs, saggy rear springs, bad clutch master, bad clutch slave, black..big mistake)
'95 Cherokee (leaker, bad rear end, saggy rear springs)
'97 Cherokee (leaker)
'99 Grand Cherokee (black...2nd big mistake, I'll never learn)
'00 Grand Cherokee
'02 Gas Hog Durango (blown differential)

and NO I DON"T BEAT 'EM!

FYI, when a "check engine" light comes on in a Cherokee, it is enabled by a timer mounted under the dash that measures runtime. Take it out and throw it away, the light means nothing (at least in my '90)!

Last edited by LyndMc; 06-25-04 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by HotRod53F100
FYI, when a "check enging" light comes on in a Cherokee, it is enabled by a timer mounted under the dash that measures runtime. Take it out and throw it away, the light means nothing (at least in my '90)!
That's not true. You may be referring to a maintanence reminder light for checking the O/2 sensor but I think that was labeled "Check emissions" or something like that.

Old 06-25-04, 02:08 PM
L
Question

Desi501..I stand corrected, it was the "check emissions" light, my mistake!

I see your title "master technician", can you tell me how to get a serpentine belt to quit chirping on a '98 Bonneville? I have replaced it twice, replaced the water pump and idler, and even rebuilt the alternator, obviously not all repairs were for the noise. The only thing that has helped was to remove the belt and clean all of the pulleys with a wire brush and brake cleaner. Even at that it only lasts a while. Even the A/C clutch makes a scraping noise when disengaged as if it is dragging. The wife and son are driving me crazy with the complaints.

Expert advice always appreciated!

Old 12-18-04, 07:15 AM
Horizon1
Visiting Guest
loose bolts in steering column

Hi everyone

I have been looking for the step by step procedure to fix this problem.
I have an 89 jeep cherokee larado. Help Please.

Thank you

Old 10-15-07, 09:45 AM
D
Originally Posted by collectorrick
I have recently noticed that the steering column on my 91 Jeep Cherokee has become loose. The column is adjustable up and down for whomever is driving. Is this something I can fix myself (possibly a loose nut?), or do I need to take it to a repair shop? If I can fix it myself, how do I get access to the inside of the steering column?

Thanks for any help....

Rick
How do I find out from you how to do this?
Dan

Old 10-15-07, 09:49 AM
D
Originally Posted by davo
You have 4 loose inverted torx bolts.Several special tools would be required to repair this problem.If you have an air bag it is not something I suggest you don't attempt to repair due to safety reasons.If you don't have an airbag post back and I will try to lead you through it but be forwarned it is not an easy task to reassemble the clolumn properly and I will not be able to describe everything to the detail needed to complete the task.You will need to pay attention to how you took it apart very specifically.Let me know what you want to do.Most shops charge about 2 hours to repair this problem.
How do I find out how to do this from you?
Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: