metal to metal noise

Old 06-22-04, 12:50 PM
colli360
Visiting Guest
metal to metal noise

95 Bonnville 3800 engine sounds like bearings gone bad.One guy said it could be Hamonic Balancer. But I dont know.Is that hard to fix.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-04, 02:47 PM
Balancers are prety common on that engine. Mark the inner and outer with a crayon, then run it and see if the marks still align. It's not hard to change if you have the puller.

Old 06-22-04, 03:13 PM
Loose torque convertor bolts will make a bearing knock type noise.Could you describe the noise if it's not the bolts or the balancer?

Old 06-23-04, 06:11 AM
colli360
Visiting Guest
noise

My wife was driving the car when it first started making the noise.And she said at first it sounded like the belt slipping. When I checked it sounded like a valve tapping and now sounds like motor is adout to come apart.Three people has listened to it and two said it was the main. One said mains just dont go out like that and said it was the balancer. Oil pressure is good and it has not been ran low on oil.I haven't drove the car, but my wife said it seems to not want to go like should when she gives it gas. We're not driving the car now. Would the balancer cause that to happen.

Old 06-23-04, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by colli360
Would the balancer cause that to happen.
Yes and I already told you how to check it.

Old 06-25-04, 12:52 PM
colli360
Visiting Guest
metal to metal noise

I marked the balancer and ran the motor for awhile and the marks was still lined up.

Old 06-25-04, 02:16 PM
Just to be sure, put a socket on the center bolt of the pully and slowly turn the engine in both directions and make the the belt moves with it immediatly.