Replaceing the alternator/waterpump belt

Old 06-22-04, 04:48 PM
Replaceing the alternator/waterpump belt

How hard is it to to replace the waterpump/alternator belt on a 88 Merc,sable with a 3.0 engine?I am mechanical minded person and a able bodied 69 year old.Please give mr any tips you can.Thx,Cecil.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-04, 05:01 PM
That depends. How small of a crack can you jam your arm into? There is very little space to work with.

Old 06-22-04, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
That depends. How small of a crack can you jam your arm into? There is very little space to work with.
I am willing to bet Cecil had figured that out on his own

Desi: How would you like to receive your reply if you asked for help?

With all due respect you can give good advice, so what happened here?

Old 06-22-04, 06:38 PM
Desi is correct in that there is very little room to work with on that vehicle. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure you can at least access the tensioner with a ratchet/socket (18mm?) meaning no special tools. Just make sure you route it correctly. There should be a routing diagram on a sticker under the hood. If not, your local parts house can likely supply you with one. Patience will do the trick.

Old 06-23-04, 10:07 AM
Thumbs up 88 sable belt replacement

Thanks to everyone,for the info.I just finished taking my first crack @ it.I was about to loosen up the altenator bolts but the sockets & handle were a bit thight trying to get them in the area.Also i wasnn't useing metric sizes.I'll go about it in a different frame of mind.Thanks again,all.Cecil.

Old 06-23-04, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by car nut
Desi: How would you like to receive your reply if you asked for help?

With all due respect you can give good advice, so what happened here?
So, what is the problem. He asked how hard it was to change and I advised him of the biggest obstacle of doing that job and I'm sure, unless he's already tried one, he has no idea just how hard it is to get that belt into place.

Old 06-23-04, 03:44 PM
So, what is the problem. He asked how hard it was to change and I advised him of the biggest obstacle of doing that job and I'm sure, unless he's already tried one, he has no idea just how hard it is to get that belt into place.
No problem except he asked for tips on how to do the job and instead of offering any help you just told him what he already knew.

If you would put yourself in his place for a moment, how much help did you give him?

Old 06-23-04, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by car nut
No problem except he asked for tips on how to do the job and instead of offering any help you just told him what he already knew.
:
Yeah, that was my tip, he needs small hands. I'm sure he DIDN'T already know that.

Originally Posted by cecil35
Thanks to everyone,for the info.I just finished taking my first crack @ it.I was about to loosen up the altenator bolts but the sockets & handle were a bit thight trying to get them in the area.Also i wasnn't useing metric sizes.I'll go about it in a different frame of mind.:
Sounds like I was right on the money

Old 06-23-04, 06:46 PM
Question

Yeah, that was my tip, he needs small hands. I'm sure he DIDN'T already know that.

Sounds like I was right on the money
Lets see now your first post talked about jaming his arm into a small crack and now you say your tip WAS he needs small hands. I guess I must have missed something.

Yep you were right on the money I am sure Cecil ripped right through that job due to your great tip.

Cecil: On a scale of 1 to 10 (1=no help and 10=the very best help you could ask for) How much help was Desi's tip and how much did he tell you that you did not already know?

Old 06-24-04, 03:47 AM
I don't know what your problem is and I'd like nothing better than to come right back at you but for Davo's sake I'll refrain.

Old 06-24-04, 03:01 PM
Smile

I don't know what your problem is and I'd like nothing better than to come right back at you but for Davo's sake I'll refrain.
Like I said no problem. It does seem strange that you are so defensive. You might remember that I complimented your advice in my first post.

If you can, put yourself in Cecil's place for a moment. He surely had looked at the belt location. He asked for tips on doing the work, and your post had no useful information for him.

You can and do give good information on this forum, but you were no help to Cecil.

People who come to this forum are most always asking for help with a project. When they get a response such as yours I can't help feel they would be discouraged or that they have wasted their time asking for help.

I would expect the creators of this forum would like it to have a reputation for being helpful and informative. If all replies were like your reply to Cecil this forum would probably cease to exist since it would not serve it's intended purpose.

I have not intended to be disrespectful and I am sorry if for some reason unknown to me you took this wrong. Maybe you got up on the wrong side of bed etc., as we all have those days.

Keep up the usual good advice to the questions.

Davo---How helpful do you think the advice was?

Old 06-24-04, 04:56 PM
I really don't need a critique of my advice from an observer. The man asked for advice on doing that job. He needed to make a decision on whether to tackle it or not and wanted to know what obstacles he would face. The biggest obstacle to that particular job is access. He soon found this to be true and subsequently commented on that. Your determination to turn this nonsense into an argument is not helping the poster at all. Your comments about the wrong side of the bed aren't sitting too well with me either. I'm sure Davo's going to be along to criticize this discussion so I'm quitting now.

Old 06-26-04, 07:43 PM
Lightbulb

I really don't need a critique of my advice from an observer. The man asked for advice on doing that job. He needed to make a decision on whether to tackle it or not and wanted to know what obstacles he would face. The biggest obstacle to that particular job is access. He soon found this to be true and subsequently commented on that. Your determination to turn this nonsense into an argument is not helping the poster at all. Your comments about the wrong side of the bed aren't sitting too well with me either. I'm sure Davo's going to be along to criticize this discussion so I'm quitting now.
I guess Davo felt no criticism was in order. Only those who are perfect cannot benefit from a constructive critique now & then. It is unfortunate that you do not even recognize when you are being complimented.

Have a nice day.

Search this Thread