Crankshaft pulley bolt removal, re - timing belt?

Old 06-23-04, 09:49 AM
Crankshaft pulley bolt removal, re - timing belt?

I have had to replace 4 timing belts and one timing chain in my life and in each case, the hardest thing was to remove the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley on. When I try removing the bolt the normal way (put a socket and wrench on it and turn), the crankshaft/whole engine turns over and so the bold never lossens.

So, each time, after trying for hours to remove it the correct way, I've ended up putting a socket & wrench on the bolt and cranking the engine a little.

Although it has worked each time without breaking anything, I understand I am risking a lot and that this in NOT the way to do things.

There has got to be some way to keep the crankshaft/engine from spinning. I've tried screwdrivers and prybars against the pully, but they only bend.

What is the correct way to hold the crankshaft/engine in place while I lossen the crakshaft pulley bolt? Is there some tool to keep it in place?

It is time again to replace a timing belt (1991 Honda Civic, 1.5 liter, 4 clyn) and I would like to do it right this time - and not take hours.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 10:43 AM
if you have an air compressor you should invest in a good impact wrench as it is by far the easiest way to remove the crankshaft bolt.
there is also some electric impacts out there that are capable of removing it without a problem.
as long as the timing belt is just being changed as maintence and is not broken I dont see any harm in using the engine starter to break it loose by bumping it over just disable the ignition first so there is no chance of it starting and using a break over bar placed against something solid also may want to apply pressure to the socket to keep it from popping off the crank bolt.

Old 06-23-04, 11:14 AM
I use the starter technique quite frequently, whenever there's no room for the impact gun. Works great.

Old 06-23-04, 09:02 PM
Wow, now that's a tip!

Old 06-24-04, 03:28 AM
I'm also an avid fan of the starter technique when necessary - the old Tempo/Topaz set-up comes to mind. Never had a problem with it.