Olds 88 engines dies with no warning???

Old 06-24-04, 08:11 AM
scholin
Visiting Guest
Olds 88 engines dies with no warning???

Lately, the engine of my 1992 olds 88 will die without any warning. I can be on the highway or at a stop. I have to pull over (when I can) and wait about a minute or two and then it will start right back up - when it is ready. This is happening more frequently, about twice a day. When it is running, everything is great.

I am told that this is a computer chip problem. Does that sound right to you and is this something that I can change? I am machinical but I don't have any diagnostic tools.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-04, 11:23 AM
doubt that it has anything to do with the computer chip although it could be an ecm problem and alot of other possible causes also such as fuel pump, crank sensor, ignition module im guessing it is probably a 3.8 liter.

you may want to take it to a shop and leave it with them so they can determine the problem when they get the vehicle to act up as some diagnostic equipment will be needed to know for sure what the problem is about the only thing we can do is advise you of the possibilities if you do some checks yourself such as checking for spark next time the problem occurs while it will not start and checking for injector pulse, and fuel pressure all of wich needs to be done while the engine is dead once you determine what the vehicle is actually losing causing it to die we can narrow down the possible causes.