Acura overheats

Old 06-25-04, 08:09 AM
Acura overheats

My son's 89 Acura Integra RS suddenly overheats a few minutes after starting. The gage shows hi temp. The top radiator hose is hot. However, the radiator as well as the lower hose are cold, and the electric fan is not running.
My son thinks the thermostat is stuck in the closed position, but then why would the upper radiator hose be hot, isn't the thermostat normally at the neck where the upper hose is connected? could it be that the water pump is not working?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-04, 12:44 PM
the thermostat is generally located at the upper hose to block housing in most cases however some engines it is installed at the lower hose block housing sounds like it may very well be a thermostat problem as waterpumps very rarely fail assuming the belt is still on the water pump.

Old 06-25-04, 02:27 PM
Bejay's right, It's in the lower hose. Sounds like the problem.

Old 06-25-04, 10:33 PM
Thanks bejay and Desi501 for your responses. I went and bought a Haynes manual, which confirmed that the thermostat is located at the lower radiator hose end. I am however totally baffled by the following statement in the manual: "If the engine runs hot, check the temperature of the upper radiator hose. If the hose is NOT hot but the engine is, the thermostat is probably stuck closed, preventing the coolant inside the engine from escaping to the radiator. If the upper radiator hose is hot, it means that the coolant is flowing and the thermostat is open".
Now to me that sounds like they got it backwards; please, anybody tell me what is correct, thanks.

Old 06-26-04, 03:53 AM
That statement applies to every car but one with a t-stat in the lower hose. Ignore that statement. It's wrong when it comes to your car.

Old 06-28-04, 06:59 PM
Based the replies I got, I replaced the thermostat (quite cumbersome on this car!). Put the old one in a pan of boiling water and it would not open even a crack. Thanks again for the help.