2.3l ford timing chain

Old 06-25-04, 02:42 PM
whokares2
Visiting Guest
2.3l ford timing chain

I have developed a rattle at low rpm, I believe the timing chain or tensioner needs replaced. My question is on the Tempo can I remove just the passenger side axle and either raise or lower the engine/transaxle assembly enough to remove crank pulley and the cover? I don't have the facility to remove the engine as the Haynes manual reccommends.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-04, 08:33 AM
I have never personally changed a timing chain on one of these, but I have done many a crank pulley. The pulley alone is a job, and requires a special wrench (or a modified one) to access the bolt. Knowing how difficult it is to wiggle the pulley out, I have my doubts as to whether the cover could be removed with the engine in the car. I do know that you will not be able to jack it up or drop it down far enough to be of any help. Someone else may chime in here with some tricks I don't know about....

Old 06-26-04, 08:05 PM
I think you can thank Ford for this one. I believe you must pull the engine. They must have had the same engineer designing the Tempo that designed the old Mustangs that required the engine to come out to replace spark plugs. Of course the dealer never tells you that stuf when they sell the car.

Old 06-27-04, 06:05 PM
whokares2
Visiting Guest
I was affraid of that. Time to invest in a cherry picker and remove the engine, oh joy!