Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Loose Steering Wheel

06-26-04, 11:38 AM   #1  
Loose Steering Wheel

Hi,

1988 Camaro, 5.0, VIN E

My steering wheel is becoming loose at the tilt joint. I pulled off the horn cap and confirmed that the spindle bolt is tight. What is coming loose at the tilt joint? I have a puller, etc, and am just checking before I take the column down.

Thank You,

Maitai

Sponsored Links

06-27-04, 10:14 AM   #2  
You have 4 loose inverted torx bolts.You will need a puller.lock plate depressor and pivot pin remover and of course the torx socket and other common hand tools.It is not real easy to reassemble these columns unless you are familiar with them.I suggest you get a service manual or pay real close attention when you pull it apart.Grease will hold some parts in place during the install.Those columns are a pita if you have never done one.Tape your torx socket to the extension if you try to shortcut the repair by just removong the t/s switch and only tightening 2 or 3 bolts(won't last).

06-28-04, 01:02 PM   #3  
undefinedundefined

Thanks Davo!!

Maitai

Visiting Guest

07-24-04, 01:38 PM   #4  
EARLS
Tilt Steering

Unless You Are Very Brave Or Talented Do Not Tackle This Job, pay Your Mechanic To Do It For You.

07-24-04, 01:43 PM   #5  
Did it...Very Brave...

Hey,

Thanks...I reached three of the bolts...didn't have the last tool to complete the job. Tilt joint is ok for now....Upgrade with new tool if it comes loose again!!!

Maitai

07-25-04, 06:08 AM   #6  
Congrats on the repair.

Search this Thread