Any Tranny Guru's?

Old 06-26-04, 03:56 PM
Any Tranny Guru's?

Transmissions aren't my game.... 95 Chevy Lumina, 3100 auto OD, 93k miles.
No previous problems, service (fluid and filter) at 40k, flush at 85k. Stopped for a stop sign, accelerated out of it, hit 3rd gear about 45 mph, and it just went away, like being thrown into nuetral. From a stop, it will accelerate to around 15 mph in 1st gear, and then pops into nuetral. Fluid is slightly low, less than a qt., very clean and not burnt. Do I have myself a catastrophic failure?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-04, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by pmgheritage
Do I have myself a catastrophic failure?
Sure sounds like it. Not much electrical in there. Could be a torque converter or front pump.

Old 06-26-04, 06:15 PM
Desi, is there any procedure to diagnose the converter prior to r & r? Probably a stupid question, but I've never come close to any trans. work. I know the thing's going to have to come out regardless, be nice to have an aiming point before throwing down the cash for an new transmission.

Old 06-27-04, 03:34 AM
Pmgheritage

I don't do much tranny work myself. I believe about the only thing you could do is take an oil pressure reading from a test port in the housing. That still won't pinpoint much. I think I'd probably get some advice from a local tranny shop before diving too deep into it. It does sound like a total loss of pressure.

Old 06-27-04, 03:58 AM
Its not the convertor:

A. Because it does engage B. Seems like it has torque multipication because you said you can accelerate

Old 06-27-04, 04:40 AM
I agree with Larry and suggest you don't attempt a repair unless you feel comfortable tearing it apart.You would need a manual for your trans and special tools to depress springs and tools to install seals and resize them.If you roll a seal in one of the clutch housings you will be removing the trans again.Have you checked for metal in the pan and does the car have reverse?Are there chunks of anything in the pan like clutch material?

Old 06-27-04, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have no intention of attempting to rebuild this thing myself, and the problem with a tranny shop is that there are only 2 local, and neither of them will be allowed to put a wrench to this car. The pan inspection won't come until later today, got a 30 mile tow to handle first. It does have reverse, and there was a very profound and constant clatter this morning that wasn't present before. A funnel inserted into the dipstick tube acted like a megaphone. I had my doubts as to whether I would find anything in the pan, given the fluid condition, but now I'm not so sure with the noise. I'll post the results of that inspection.

Old 06-27-04, 08:18 AM
If you are not going to repair the trans yourself just drain the fluid from the pan and call the auto parts for a replacement trans since the local tranny shops are a no go for you.Let us know if there is metal in the pan before you do anything first.

Old 06-27-04, 02:15 PM
Ok guys, the verdict is in.... as of tow-truck arrival, reverse is now gone also. Fluid looked beautiful and smelled brand new. Slight amount of metal in the pan, not much but enough to cover the tip of my finger, all of it in the same spot directly under the governor. Didn't look like clutch material either, but pure metal shavings. Clattering is definitely torque coverter. I'm guessing that whatever went took the converter with it. I did find a recall listed in MOD, 95-C-08, covering this type of failure. It's based on the Julian date on the trans. ID tag, and that's the one thing I can't read off of it. I'll call the dealer in the morning with the VIN and see what the word is. Otherwise, I guess I'll be pricing some reman. tranny's. Thanks gentlemen.

Pat

Old 06-28-04, 02:36 PM
Update - no go with the recall, dates listed were Sep. 15 - 21, 1994. Date on mine is Sep. 26. Gotta love it. Made a few calls today though and found a '95, 31k on the clock, pancaked in the backend. Owned by an older gentleman, offered him 3 bills for the whole car and he agreed. Guess my holiday weekend will be spent extracting subframes.....

Old 06-28-04, 03:19 PM
If you got a car with that mileage I hope the engine is going in also.I would remove hoses and wiring and swap the whole powertrain and subframe/cradle as a complete unit assuming you have hoists at your disposal.

Old 06-28-04, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by davo
If you got a car with that mileage I hope the engine is going in also.I would remove hoses and wiring and swap the whole powertrain and subframe/cradle as a complete unit assuming you have hoists at your disposal.
That's the plan. Not sure about lift access yet, but even without them it shouldn't be more than a long day's job. Still, I'm hoping to talk my buddy into opening up the shop Sat. morning....