Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

anothr oil question

CAL

06-26-04, 06:38 PM   #1  
anothr oil question

I really donít want to open another can of worms, just wanted to find out for myself
My 2001 Mazda MPV has 5W20 for recommended oil. Does the fact that I live in So California and tempreratures are higher then 60F most of the time allows me to use 5W30 or 10W30 oil instead? Thanks

Sponsored Links

06-27-04, 03:50 AM   #2  
No, I would not deviate from the recommended weight at all. The engineering has changed drastically and the oil clearances are much tighter now. It's 95 plus degrees where I'm at and we still use the recommended weights. You can actually lose oil pressure by going to a heavier oil

06-28-04, 07:42 PM   #3  
Have you read the owners manual? Many vehicles have a normaly recomended viscosity for a specified temperature range, but allow different viscositys for anticipated temperatures within certin ranges.

Some say that the lower viscositys are recomended for the sake of improved fuel economy at the expense of long term wear of the engine.

Search this Thread