Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

anti-freeze in oil pan

Visiting Guest

06-27-04, 10:10 AM   #1  
t-bird
anti-freeze in oil pan

I have a 88 T-bird, 75k, 3.8 auto. Car sat overnight and it did not want to start in a.m. on first try. 2nd try did start but smelly white fumes came out the tail pipe. moved the car 15 yds, turned off engine. engine very hot to the touch. opened rad cap and was gushed w/anti-f. engine on only 3min. ck plugs- uneven results (1yr old) some had heavy carbon, others normal. ck'd oil. higher than expected. slowing drained oil pan. noted anti-f coming out of pan. afraid to turn on and do compren. test. suspect head gasket. help!

Sponsored Links

06-27-04, 12:50 PM   #2  
No doubt a bad cylinder head gasket. You're OK to do a compression test since you won't be starting it.

Remove ALL the plugs and inspect for coolant in the cylinders as well.

If you have a cylinder leakage tester, that would tell you more than a compression test.

Matt

Visiting Guest

06-27-04, 03:31 PM   #3  
t-bird
thanks re: t-bird w/antifreeze

Thanks for the info! I needed to hear it from someone in the know. I'll let you know how things came out. Could you give me an idea on the time and approx. cost (texas)?

06-27-04, 06:27 PM   #4  
Don't have a labor guide handy right now, but I'd guess about 12 hours labor X your local garage rate + parts + machine shop charges.

Don't cheap out! Have the heads sent out for pressure, leak check, warpage and bad valves.

Fresh oil, filter and tuneup (plugs, cap, rotor and wires).

Matt

Search this Thread