Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exhaust system bolts

OH

06-27-04, 04:50 PM   #1  
Exhaust system bolts

The bolts that fasten the catalytic converter to the Y pipe that goes to the dual mufflers on my 1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe (5.O litre engine) are shot. these bolts appear to be a 3/8ths by 16 thread. I have drawn blank stares at the two local parts distributors, and will try a Ford dealer next. Im wondering if Im going to be SOL finding original bolts for this car.

Sponsored Links

06-27-04, 05:32 PM   #2  
Isn't that just a flat flange?

OH

06-27-04, 06:43 PM   #3  
Exhaust system bolts

No, it fits together like a ball joint. there is a gap between the flanges because of the ball halves in the corresponding two parts. the bolts are about four inches long and have the head and a nut holding the bolt to the converter. Another set of nuts holds the pipe flange and pipe to the converter. You remove the nuts with an air gun to remove the pipe from the converter to replace it. After 15 years, the threads have corroded away on the original bolts.

06-27-04, 07:27 PM   #4  
Ok, I think I'm remembering now. Those should just be those silly-a**ed Ford studs. They're not threaded into the converter flange, just have nuts on the back side. Just cut them out and use regular bolts. Use lock washers and they should be fine. If you don't have access to a torch, a die grinder should do just as well, it will just take a liittle longer.

06-28-04, 08:14 PM   #5  
If you think you will have the car long enough to ever have to take it apart again use brass nuts. If you want to go all out get some stainless steel bolts.

Brass nuts are the only way to go particularly on exhaust studs where the steel nut rusts to the stud and you break the stud off trying to get the nut off.

A good auto store will have brass nuts that are longer than standard nuts which makes them harder to strip when tightening them since the brass is much softer that steel.

06-28-04, 09:10 PM   #6  
I always wondered why the brass nuts at NAPA were longer than normal
EW...please don't tell anyone I said that

06-28-04, 09:50 PM   #7  
Sorry if I went off track
car nut's reply is right on the money
PS you can convert this baby to a true duel exhaust if you want

Search this Thread