Radiator cooling fan won't come on

Old 06-27-04, 08:13 PM
Question Radiator cooling fan won't come on

1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager, V6 3.3L engine.

I noticed today that my temp gauge would max out when I was stopped in traffic. As long as I keep moving, the temp stays normal. The radiator was replaced about 2 years ago, so it is fairly new. I checked all belts and hoses and that's all good. Oil pressure and levels are perfect.

If I leave the car in park and let it idle, the temp will climb above the normal operating level, and the cooling fan won't come on. I checked the fuse to the fan and it is fine.

Question: what's the most likely culprit here - the fan motor or a temp switch of some kind? I'm assuming there is a temp switch, but I'm not sure where it is. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-04, 11:46 PM
Run a jumper wire directly from the fan to the battery, if the fan does not come on your problem is the fan. If it does it may be a relay. Get a wiring diagram and see what components are in your fan circutry.

Old 06-28-04, 02:35 AM
I think that's a multiple wire plug so jumping it may be more complicated than you want. First, turn on the A/C and see if the fan comes on. If not, tap the motor itself with a bar or piece of metal to se if it starts. If it does, bad motor. I believe that's a 2 speed motor so if it's not working in either speed, good chance it's the motor. The entire assembly is sold as a unit from the dealer. Not much available in aftermarket.

Old 06-28-04, 08:11 AM
Yes, it is a multi-wire connector. I turned on the AC and the fan motor does not start at all. I'll try tapping it this morning and see if it activates.

Thanks for the help. I'll post back with results very soon.

Thanks again.

Old 06-28-04, 01:13 PM
All is fixed now. Checked with a dealer and they wanted $410 for the shroud/fan assembly! YIKES!! Napa wasn't much better at $200 for a rebuilt fan motor. Found a local autowrecker that just happened to have the assembly from a very low mileage Voyager for a mere $90! They tested it for me just to be sure, and gave me a 90 day warranty. Replacement took me about 15 - 20 minutes and everything works great now.

Thank you for all the great help guys!

Search this Thread