Compressor fuse

Old 06-28-04, 09:15 AM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
Compressor fuse

87 F-150, 302 V8; AC compressor not engaging. I wiggled the switch on top and it came on for a second. I'm wondering how to trouble shoot the switch, I have a meter. What kind of voltage should be coming from it. Also, is there a fuse on the compressor or is the fuse in the fuse box the only fuse in the system? Help, it's HOT in Texas...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-04, 03:07 PM
Switch??????
I don't know of any switch on top of the compressor. There's just a plug that plugs into the coil connection. If it comes on when you wiggle it, either the terminals in the plug aren't making a good connection or the coil has a break in it.

Old 06-28-04, 03:22 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
Sorry, that's what I meant. The plug. You say the coil has a break in it? Are we talking about the ignition coil or a different coil on the AC system? How would I trouble shoot that?

Old 06-28-04, 04:12 PM
I'm talking about the magnetic clutch coil. It's part of the A/C clutch. First make sure it's not just a connection problem with the plug. You can tighten those connectors with a very small sharp pic.

Old 06-29-04, 07:30 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
The connectors look terrible, they look like they're burned. I'm gonna replace the connector first and see if that does it... Turns out it's a dealer item. Autozone doesn't carry it. I'm sure they want a hefty price. Any suggestions on another place besides the dealer?

Old 06-30-04, 02:22 AM
If all your buying is a pig tail then the dealer is the best place to go. The cost is minimal and you'll get the right part the first time.

Old 07-08-04, 03:09 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
not the connector (pig tail) Where is the coil located on the compressor?

Old 07-08-04, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by jrodcat
not the connector (pig tail) Where is the coil located on the compressor?
Under the clutch. It's one of the 3 pieces that make up the clutch.