Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compressor fuse

Visiting Guest

06-28-04, 09:15 AM   #1  
jrodcat
Compressor fuse

87 F-150, 302 V8; AC compressor not engaging. I wiggled the switch on top and it came on for a second. I'm wondering how to trouble shoot the switch, I have a meter. What kind of voltage should be coming from it. Also, is there a fuse on the compressor or is the fuse in the fuse box the only fuse in the system? Help, it's HOT in Texas...

Sponsored Links

06-28-04, 03:07 PM   #2  
Switch??????
I don't know of any switch on top of the compressor. There's just a plug that plugs into the coil connection. If it comes on when you wiggle it, either the terminals in the plug aren't making a good connection or the coil has a break in it.

Visiting Guest

06-28-04, 03:22 PM   #3  
jrodcat
Sorry, that's what I meant. The plug. You say the coil has a break in it? Are we talking about the ignition coil or a different coil on the AC system? How would I trouble shoot that?

06-28-04, 04:12 PM   #4  
I'm talking about the magnetic clutch coil. It's part of the A/C clutch. First make sure it's not just a connection problem with the plug. You can tighten those connectors with a very small sharp pic.

Visiting Guest

06-29-04, 07:30 PM   #5  
jrodcat
The connectors look terrible, they look like they're burned. I'm gonna replace the connector first and see if that does it... Turns out it's a dealer item. Autozone doesn't carry it. I'm sure they want a hefty price. Any suggestions on another place besides the dealer?

06-30-04, 02:22 AM   #6  
If all your buying is a pig tail then the dealer is the best place to go. The cost is minimal and you'll get the right part the first time.

Visiting Guest

07-08-04, 03:09 PM   #7  
jrodcat
not the connector (pig tail) Where is the coil located on the compressor?

07-08-04, 03:26 PM   #8  
Posted By: jrodcat not the connector (pig tail) Where is the coil located on the compressor?
Under the clutch. It's one of the 3 pieces that make up the clutch.

Search this Thread