Tapping Noise

Old 06-28-04, 02:33 PM
Tapping Noise

I am hoping someone here can guess what's wrong with my daughter's truck. She has a 1991 GMC Sonoma. I have not actually heard the noise it's making but she described it as a clicking or tapping that gets louder as she accelerates. I thought I was familiar with all sounds because of all the repairs I've done on my car lately but this is one that I haven't heard. Someone mentioned that she should check her oil level. Could it be a motor problem? They mentioned lifters, valves. What do you think? I know it could probably be a million things, but I would appreciate any information anyone could offer. She is just trying to determine if it is something serious so when she takes it to a mechanic she won't be too surprised at what he finds. Thanks for your help, Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-04, 02:43 PM
That type of noise could definitley be indicative of a valve train problem, and checking the oil should be at the top of the list. A good technician should be able to confirm the valve train as the culprit just by the noise. Determining the root cause of the problem will likely involve some tear down.

Old 06-28-04, 02:55 PM
Tapping Noise

pmgheritage, Thanks for your reply. I advised her to check her oil and then call her mechanic. I appreciate your reply. Thanks, Kathy 42

Old 06-28-04, 03:29 PM
Also have her check the coolant level it may be running hot and she doesn't want to cook the engine.The egr system may also need attention.I take it the clutch problem is still ok.Always something to fix on older vehicles.Mine are older than hers.

Old 06-29-04, 06:16 AM
Tapping Noise

Davo, pmgheritage, thank you for your replies. Yes, the clutch is still doing ok. The coolant level appears to be fine and the vehicle doesn't appear to be running hot. Davo, I'm impressed that you remembered the clutch problem.
With all the people you give advice to, I can't imagine how you keep track of who has what vehicle. My daughter was 2 1/2 quarts low on oil! She had the oil changed at a Speedy Oil location here in New Orleans not all that long ago. I believe she still has about 300 miles left on this oil change(she changes it every 3,000 miles) The truck doesn't seem to be leaking oil. Do you think maybe it wasn't filled to the proper oil level when she had the oil changed? I thought if a vehicle was burning oil you would smell it and see visible signs-like smoke blowing out of the tail pipe. She doesn't appear to have any of these problems.She added the 2 1/2 quarts and the noise seems to have disappeared. I told her to check it each day for awhile to see if she loses any oil. She obviously has been running it low on oil since her last oil change. Do you think she did any damage to the motor? Why would the noise go away just by adding the oil? I appreciate your help. Kathy

Search this Thread