Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ram 50 smoking ???

06-28-04, 04:34 PM   #1  
Ram 50 smoking ???

I have an 89 dodge ram 50 with a lot of miles on it. Recently I swithched oil brands from havoline to shell just becasue the place were I buy oil sells shell know. Ever since then my truck has smoked especially when ideling or running at low rpm. This morning I started it up and it was worse than ever so I changed the oil to Havoline 10w-40 from 10w-30shell and put in a can of restore. I also checked the pcv valve and it seems to be fine. It rattles inside and I can blow air through it. Does anyone know what might be causing the smoking?

Sponsored Links

06-29-04, 05:56 AM   #2  
Another thing I noticed is that when the engine is cold it doesnt smoke and the exhaust just smells normal. However when the engine warms up at all, you can see the smoke start. Whats going on here anyway?

06-29-04, 06:43 AM   #3  
I'm guessing the Shell oil is not as good the Havoline. The Shell oil probably gets too thin when got and gets by the rings into the combustion chamber. A heavier oil should "fix" that problem.

06-30-04, 08:13 AM   #4  
changed my oil yesterday to havoine 10w-40 and it seems to do it less. However when it warms up it will smoke at idle. I havent has a chance to run it much since I changed the oil though. Is it possible that my pcv valve may be faulty and also is there any more valves that could be putting oil into the carbureator or anywhere else it would be burned. Thanks

06-30-04, 02:41 PM   #5  
What color is the smoke?If it's oil it should be blue,if white engine coolant.You don't state mileage but worn valve guides/seals or rings come to mind.If the pcv valve rattles it's not causing the smoke.

07-27-04, 07:21 PM   #6  
O.K. this smoke is starting to bug me. I know it could simply be that my truck is worn out (rings, valves, ect.) but here are the wierd things. 1) The truck does not smoke when it starts most of the time and the exhaust smells and looks normal. However when the truck warms up sometimes it will smoke blue, but when no up to temp it hardly ever smokes. 2) Damp mornings are the worst 3) When it is smoking you can take the pcv valve off and it will rattle some if you shake it hard. Then I take some carb cleaner and blow it out. It will act plugged at first and then the carb cleaner will blow through and it rattles great. Thought that fixed it but had to do the same thing today when it started to smoke. Today it acted plugged again when I sprayed it out. It will still smoke initially after it is blown out and then it will come out of it. 4) It used to come and go. One week it would smoke, the next it wouldnt and so on. Someone please help me, this is driving me nuts!!!

07-28-04, 03:33 AM   #7  
It sounds like you have a valve seal/guide problem. Possibly they were pretty gummed up before and your first oil change worked as a detergent to expose a lot more clearance that was already there. The oil may have had some effect on valve seals that were not in very good shape to start with. Other than doing a valve job or temporarily fixing it with new seals, heavier oil is your best option. I'd try some 20W50 with a can of STP or equilivant with each oil change.

Search this Thread