lock cylinder removal, '77 Jeep

Old 06-28-04, 09:09 PM
lock cylinder removal, '77 Jeep

I just moved into the nicest house I've ever lived in, with a three-car garage and everything. Only problem is there's a '77 Jeep CJ5 in one spot in the garage. It's been sitting there for the last seven years, and there's no key available. The steering column looks remarkably like a Chevrolet unit, but nothing in my books tells how to remove/replace the ignition lock cylinder when the key is missing. I remember hearing something once about drilling something out, or slide-hammering the cylinder out, or something, but I'd really like to destroy as little as possible. What's the skinny on doing this in a sanitary manner? Thanks for any/all input - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-04, 09:27 PM
I had a '76 DJ (Gov't Jeep) and I replaced the cyl. with no drilling/slide hammering
I still have the Haynes manual
Can you wait till I look it up? (the manual is for a CJ)

Old 06-28-04, 09:52 PM
Sure, no big hurry. I'm just trying to decide whether or not I want to try to acquire this vehicle so I can have it take a big chunk out of my free time!

Old 06-28-04, 09:59 PM
By the way, slick, the lock cylinder is already damaged to the point it turns with a screwdriver in the slot. If security weren't an issue (it's not my car YET), I would work around this minor issue, but...

Old 06-29-04, 09:58 AM
lol...
Haynes says 2 types, one for std. column, one for tilt
Both located in lower section stering column...connected to key lock asmbly...
Aha, removal-either type:
Key in off/lock
Remove two switch mounting screws
Disconnect switch from remote rod
Unplug harness connector and remove switch

Huh...mine was in the dash and I just reached under and loosened a bezel or something, no key req'd

If it's in the off/lock position now maybe you can remove it?
Can you see the two screws?

Old 06-30-04, 12:50 AM
The switch was easy to get out. It's the lock cylinder in the steering column that's giving me fits. A guy I work with has a similar model Jeep, and says he has an intact steering column WITH the key, so if all else fails, maybe he will come through for me. Yeah, slick, I WISH this car had the switch in the dash. That would have made this SO easy. Can you see does your manual say anything about getting the lock cylinder out of the steering column collar? It appears, based on my Chilton's manual, that the key is the main ingredient to a simple removal, but without the key,... Thanks for your help so far, slick. Hope to hear from you again soon - Chris

Old 06-30-04, 09:49 AM
I poured over this book and nothing about the cylinder
The Wrangler '87 & up book has intructions (Key to on position, etc.), but this won't help
All these other books here have instructions for cylinder removal
Most need a key
The interesting one is for Chevy vans
On early models you stick a thin rod into the turn signal housing slot
Keep the tool to the right side of the slot and depress the spring latch at the bottom of the slot to release the lock

I don't suppose...

Old 06-30-04, 02:32 PM
Remove the steering wheel,lockplate,t/s switch and then you will see a little white plastic part(with brass colored tangs)in the upper right area of the column.Turn the cylinder to run and remove it with needle nose pliers becareful because it has a spring type clip on the underside.You will find a single screw in that area most likely a torx.Remove the screw and pull the lock cylinder out(needs to be in the run position).Reverse procedure to install.

Old 06-30-04, 10:43 PM
I appreciate all the effort, guys. Really. Slick, my Chilton's book shows the Chevy column, too, and the Jeep column is very similar. The hole you're supposed to stick the screwdriver into to depress the latch is even there, but there is no latch to depress. Davo, is the screw you're talking about the one that holds the cylinder in place in the collar? If so, I've seen it before on other GM products, but it's absent on this column. All that's left in the collar now is the lock cylinder, the rack, the rack gear, the gear pin (or shaft), and the lockplate pin and spring. No more screws, roll pins or anything. I really think I'm going to replace the collar and dynamite the old one apart, just for fun. Okay, not really. I don't have the permit for the dynamite. I'll have to think of something, unless something else comes to either of you or anybody else. For now, thanks again for the help. I'll let you know what happens. - Chris

Old 12-29-09, 04:30 PM
Ignition Removal

Chris,

Did you ever get the old ignition cylinder out? I have a similar problem with a 77 CJ and I can't figure out a way to even get down to the cylinder 'cause there is too much metal without screws, etc. to get to it.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 12-31-09, 11:14 AM
Jeep Ignition removal without key

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I finally figured out how to remove the key cylinder. You must first remove the steering wheel, the compressed plate & clip, the turn signal switch, and then insert a small screwdriver into the slot over the cylinder and compress a small lever. That allows the cylinder to be removed just by pulling it out. I replaced it with a new one with keys for about $40 from the local parts store. I know I could have gotten it cheaper on-line, but time was an issue.

Dave Beer 4U2