Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Home Remedy for Cleaning Car Glass

06-29-04, 11:13 AM   #1  
Home Remedy for Cleaning Car Glass

The previous owner of my car had stickers on the side windows.

Well, I've removed them and of course there's that sticky residue left behind.

Apart from spending hours with rags and a bottle of Windex trying to remove this gooock, anyone know of a SAFE home-remedy?

Sponsored Links

NH

06-29-04, 11:16 AM   #2  
I use windex and a razor blade, takes seconds.

06-29-04, 02:47 PM   #3  
As long as rhere is not aftermarket tint under the stickers you can use goo off or a similar product to soften the adheasive. Then clean with windex etc. Windex will not soften the adheasive. Even WD-40 or a similar product will usually work to soften the adheasive.

06-29-04, 02:58 PM   #4  
Posted By: car nut Windex will not soften the adheasive. Even WD-40 or a similar product will usually work to soften the adheasive.
That is absolutely correct! Even with a razor it would take me forever to get the job done.

I was doing research online and found a mention someplace regarding Vinegar and water. 'haven't had a chance to try it but might give it a go in the morning....as well as your idea.

BTW, I figured there had to be some simple home remedy when I think about how sticking a potato chip in your mouth while chewing gum will actually reduce the gum to nothing. Thus, there's gotta be something that'll have a similar effect on this sticky sheen I'm stuck with......'ya know?

06-29-04, 04:31 PM   #5  
WD 40 is great for cleaning glue residue.

06-29-04, 06:16 PM   #6  
parts stores sells a bug and tar remover that seems to remove just about anything safely.

06-29-04, 06:40 PM   #7  
Awesome! Thanks people for the replies which are just as helpful as always!!!

Search this Thread