Prestone added to Dexcool antifreeze

Old 06-30-04, 07:49 AM
Prestone added to Dexcool antifreeze

Help! I recently added Prestone to my 2001 Malibu which has Dexcool in it. I am scheduled to have the radiator flushed and chemically cleaned tomorrow and Dexcool replaced with Prestone. Does this sound like good advice? I have had the mixed green and red antifreeze in the car for about a month. Have I caused any damage to the car?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-04, 08:09 AM
dexcool

I would not switch to prestone Chevy put in Dexcool leave it at that.Prestone is good but Dexcool is better and made for your car.I dont think any damage was done but get it flushed ASAP.Dexcool is the long life stuff but I would not wait till the recommended 100 thousand miles.

Old 06-30-04, 11:05 AM
Mixing them didn't cause any damage. My personal thought is, if you want to go to Prestone green, then go for it. I've never seen any problems caused by a changeover, and did my own car shortly after I bought it. I have seen numerous problems caused by Dexcool left in for 100k. If you do change over to green, just make sure to have a flush done every 2 years. Or every year, depending on the mileage you put on it.

Old 06-30-04, 02:14 PM
My biggest concern would be where did the coolant go?Do I have a leak that needs repaired?My opinion of Dexcool is you can probably change it about half as often as green coolant and still be ok.I think the mileage/time interval is marketing hype.All manufacturers are trying to advertise maintenance free vehicles to some degree.It doesn't exist not yet anyhow.

Old 06-30-04, 02:24 PM
Think of the Dexcool as "sterile" coolant. Once you contaminate it with regular coolant, you have the equivelent of regular (non-sterile) coolant. If you could flush it very thoroughly, you could get back to the "silicate free" or sterile coolant and it's benefits. I agree with Davo's feelings in it. If you consider it a 50K coolant instead of 100K, you'll do all right. The regular green coolant is 2yr 24K.

Old 06-30-04, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Desi501]Think of the Dexcool as "sterile" coolant. Once you contaminate it with regular coolant, you have the equivelent of regular (non-sterile) coolant.

Never thought of it like that - good point!

Old 07-28-04, 06:21 AM
Dexcool

Thanks for the responses. Here's what I ended up doing. I went to the Chevy place and they recommended that I not change to Prestone. I had them flush the fluid out and put in new Dexcool. Due to conflicting opinions about Dexcool, I will play it safe and try to remember to replace the antifreeze every two years or so, even though the auto manual says it lasts much longer.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-28-04, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by sk81299
Due to conflicting opinions about Dexcool, I will play it safe and try to remember to replace the antifreeze every two years or so, even though the auto manual says it lasts much longer.

Thanks for the advice.
Exactly the right way to proceed.

Old 08-01-04, 05:04 AM
lorax123
Visiting Guest
Question: I always heard mixing the regular green antifreeze with the long lasting red antifreeze is never ever good. I heard by mixing the 2 eventually will cause the coolants to turn to a gel. This came from a guy I know who worked in the automotive radiator/AC industry. Is that true, or is it just something that is blown out of proportion by coolant manufacturers?

Old 08-01-04, 10:40 AM
The key word is "eventually". Most any coolant will turn to crap eventually. Change it at the right intervals and you'll have no problem. The coolants are completely compatable. You just can't get the benefits of Dexcool once it's contaminated.