Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

02 Civic problem

Visiting Guest

06-30-04, 08:06 AM   #1  
cornwell
02 Civic problem

I have an 02 Civic EX (automatic) with 37,000 miles on it. The malfunction indicator lamp has been coming on every now and then. On Saturday it came on while in heavy traffic, and when I had a green light, I went to accelerate and it felt like I was driving through 2 feet of water. I was only able to accelerate to about 20mph with the pedal pushed at least half way down. The next time I started it (an hour later) all was fine. There has been at least one other instance 2 weeks ago with the same symptom, and again it was fine the next time I started it. I had my car serviced about 3,000 miles ago, and they did not inform me of anything that might need attention in the near future.

Before I let a mechanic potentially rip me off, I wanted to get any feedback on whether this might be something I could easily diagnose and/or fix myself.

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links

TX

06-30-04, 08:12 AM   #2  
Question

Is your Honda still under warranty sounds like it should be.Take it in to Honda and have them fix it.

06-30-04, 10:51 AM   #3  
Posted By: cornwell Before I let a mechanic potentially rip me off, I wanted to get any feedback on whether this might be something I could easily diagnose and/or fix myself.

Thanks,
Matt
Not a very good way to ask mechanics for help....

Visiting Guest

06-30-04, 10:58 AM   #4  
cornwell
I apologize for offending anyone, but I assumed that's why most people ask questions on this board. That way they are more empowered when taking their car in and can understand better what the mechanic is trying to sell them on.

To answer the warranty question, it's a 36,000 mile warranty (and I've got just over 37,000 miles). Also, I just paid $300 about 3,000 miles ago for a "checkup" at the dealership, where they check all the systems, hoses, wires, fuel line, tires, brakes, etc.

06-30-04, 11:17 AM   #5  
[QUOTE=cornwell]I apologize for offending anyone, but I assumed that's why most people ask questions on this board. That way they are more empowered when taking their car in and can understand better what the mechanic is trying to sell them on.

Understood, but remember that most valid advice you recieve on this forum will come from working professionals.

As far as your MIL light, it says you're setting trouble code (s) in the computer. AZ will read them for free, just post the code #'s back here. Don't let them sell you anything.

06-30-04, 04:22 PM   #6  
I think it was the referance to the mechanic ripping you off.The fact is vehicles are expensive to repair and people feel it's a ripoff(not the technicians fault).I feel attorneys are very expensive for the amount of work they actually do.Did they rip me off?Depends on your outlook if I got the result I was after then no.You can always find someone cheaper to do a service or repair but you may not save in the long run.Ever had a doctor say I guarentee this pill or surgery will solve your problem 100%?Nope you never will.But doctors are not ripoffs to most people whom wish to live.The human body remains unchanged for 1000's of years but automobiles change daily with about 250k pages of new info per year to absorb and understand.The technicians on here offer advice at no cost for the asking out of pride in their chosen profession and do not want to be called ripoffs.Sorry about the rant just wanted to explain in a little more detail how things appear from other angles.

Search this Thread