Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel filter questions

06-28-04, 09:07 PM   #1  
Fuel line repair

Went to change the fuel filter this evening and when I took off the old one the line crumpled. It was flared and now I'd like to repair it. The hose is plastic and brittle so I"m afraid to clamp it. Is there a way to repair this? If I put a smaller line in with a steel connector will I get enough fuel flow.
I will get a new fuel line in the very near future but now the car is on a jack on the street and needs to be moved by Wednesday. )alternate side of the street parking. Thanks all

Sponsored Links

06-28-04, 09:37 PM   #2  
If I put a smaller line in with a steel connector will I get enough fuel flow.
what engine?
what vehicle?
any mods?

06-29-04, 04:23 AM   #3  
93 Buick Century 3.3 stock

06-29-04, 10:27 AM   #4  
Oooh, I'm not familiar with this engine
Offhand I would say it's not a good idea to go w/smaller line
But if it's just to move it across the street...
...if it's gotta move, it's gotta move

06-29-04, 11:05 AM   #5  
What's wrong with pushing it across the street?

07-01-04, 09:31 AM   #6  
Fuel filter questions

I recently changed my fuel filter and one of the lines came apart in my hands. I got a fuel hose slightley larger than the one that crumbled and spliced about one foot of line from a steel line to the fuel filter, Now the car is hesitating badly, the filter is on the right way. Anyone have any thought on this? The car is a 93 buick century 6 cylinder 3.3 90,000 miles

Last edited by easywind; 07-01-04 at 09:34 AM. Reason: left out info

07-01-04, 01:38 PM   #7  
was the vehicle hesitating before you changed the fuel filter?
might check the maf sensor on the throttlebody by removing the three screws and cleaning the 2 elements by spraying off with carb cleaner.
you should probably check fuel pressure to see if its within spec and I would suggest replacing the fuel line as the splice may leak as it is under high pressure 30 -40 psi.

07-01-04, 03:23 PM   #8  
If the fuel line crumbled on the outlet side of the fuel filter the loose debris may be in the injectors now.If you remove the fuel injectors you may be able to clean the debris out with carb spray if they have filter screens in the inlet.Is it a hesitation or misfire?

Last edited by davo; 07-01-04 at 03:40 PM.

07-02-04, 09:19 AM   #9  
Thanks for the replies, I drove the car only one block when it was hesitating, I then took it out on the road for a mile or so and the problem seems to have gone away. I pulled the wires off the coil packs and all plugs were firing with a good ark. I imagine a piece of dirt got in the line or I had a air pocket in the line that has now been purged. the car is now running fine. I also replaced the plastic line with a rubber fuel line, about a foot.
Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread