Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

93 toyota tercel rotor question

Visiting Guest

07-01-04, 09:48 AM   #1  
50mpg
93 toyota tercel rotor question

My brakes started going out and the right front side were scraping pretty bad, until finally one of the brake pads on that side fell out, so I figured it was about time to change the brakes. I definitely need to replace the rotor on that one side atleast, I got two new rotors (only $12 each) planning on replacing them both, I also got new pads.

My problem is I can't figure out how to get the rotor off. Everyone I've talked to says you just hammer/pry it off the hub, but it looks like there's a giant nut screwed onto the axle, holding the rotor on. Behind this giant nut are the bearings, so I'm told. My question is, do I have to remove this nut and deal with the bearings just to remove the rotor, or is it really two separate pieces, and the rotor will just slide off if I use enough force? It looks like one piece, but it may be on there so tightly I can't see a line where the rotor meets up with the metal around the axle.

If this nut is holding the rotor on the new rotors I got are different because the hole in the middle isn't the same diameter as the old rotor...anyone know if I can just bang it off or do I have to remove that nut?

Thanks for any help, this forum is great.

Sponsored Links

07-01-04, 01:22 PM   #2  
It should come off without removing the center nut if in doubt look at the new ones you just purchased and you shoulde be able to tell that it should slide off the hub suggest spraying with wd40 around the hub and wheel studs and a large hammer.

TX

07-01-04, 06:41 PM   #3  
check it out

Do your old rotars have two holes with thread in them?If so you can get two bolts (make sure they are the right thread pitch) spray the center were the rotor meets the spindle with some wd-40.Use the bolts to pull it off

07-02-04, 03:44 AM   #4  
You may also have to change those calipers if you over extended the pistons. If you hit the brake even once after that pad fell out, then you likely popped the piston out.
It would have been a whole lot cheaper to repair it back when it first had problems.

Visiting Guest

07-02-04, 05:38 AM   #5  
50mpg
ayup

good freakin call desi, the caliper on the side where the pad fell off appears to be screwed. I couldn't get the cylinder to compress with a clamp, and after banging on it with a hammer to get it back in I figure it's gone pretty far south. going to get a used one from a local junk yard for $15 later today, hopefully that's all I need.

I'm saying screw the rotors for now b/c I can't get them off, but I think you're all right they will come off without removing any nuts and bolts if I just bang on them enough. For now I'll just let the new pads take the pain until I get more time/money to mess with it. Thanks for all the help folks.

07-02-04, 03:42 PM   #6  
Posted By: 50mpg I figure it's gone pretty far south. going to get a used one from a local junk yard for $15 later today, hopefully that's all I need.
A used caliper that's been sitting around a junk jard will likely be no good anyway. A reman would barely cost more than that most of the time.

Visiting Guest

07-02-04, 04:25 PM   #7  
50mpg
probably true, but you have to remember I'm a moron about this stuff

I got the new caliper, got it on, and I'm trying to bleed the brake line, I had someone push the brake pedal down while I opened the bleeder valve on the caliper, then let up when I closed it, but it doesn't seem to be working. Some fluid and air came out the first few times the pedal was depressed, but after that it was just air, and we went through about 25 repetitions of the brake pedal with still only air coming out. Do I have to have the car running to do this?

Thanks a lot for the help, I seriously appreciate it...

TX

07-02-04, 05:19 PM   #8  
check master cyl

Make sure you keep the master cyl full.You might have run it dry.Do not let this happen

TX

07-02-04, 05:20 PM   #9  
forgot

No you do not need the car running.

Visiting Guest

07-02-04, 06:02 PM   #10  
50mpg
well arg, maybe I just need to keep pumping it, there's a little black plastic thing covering the hole going down in the plastic brake fluid reservoir, under the hood, and under that rounded plastic thing you can see brake fluid sitting there. the level didn't seem to change as we pumped the brake pedal. I drove it a bit and the brakes barely work, but they work enough to get it to a garage to do the bleeding I guess, since I can't seem to figure it out how...I may mess with it some more tomorrow before I take it somewhere and if I figure out the problem I'll post it here...

time for a beer, thanks again everyone.

Search this Thread