Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thumping Noise

LA

07-01-04, 09:56 AM   #1  
Thumping Noise

Hi, guys. It's Kathy42. I hope you are not tired of hearing about my problems because I have another one. I drive a 1993 Buick Century.I just had the front wheel bearings replaced. Like another poster, it was making a grinding noise when I turned the wheel to the left.Turning it to the right stopped the noise.I had the work done yesterday.Replacing the bearings did the trick in eliminating the noise I was hearing but after picking the car up, I heard another noise.The only way I know to describe it is to say it sounds like I rolled over a small tree branch and it popped up and hit the underside of the car making a thump. This only happens when I turn the wheel and only when making sharp turns-like turning a corner.It doesn't happen all the time but happens frequently enough for me to notice.The first time it happened I thought I rolled over something but I know now after driving the car home from the mechanic's place that there is something wrong. It does it when I make left turns and also when I make right turns. This is an old car but has been kept in good condition, mechanically and otherwise.My father taught me to pay attention to strange noises.He always said it would help me in the long run because it is better to fix things as needed then to put them off because then instead of one thing to fix, you may have several.What I am trying to explain is that I know this noise was not there before the bearings were replaced. It cost me a good bit on money to have the bearings replaced and cannot afford anymore repairs at this time. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I appreciate the help.

Kathy

Sponsored Links

07-01-04, 12:54 PM   #2  
It may be the suspension moving while against the wheel stops. That will make a very loud popping sound if you have the wheel turned all the way against the stops. Just put a dab of grease on the stop to eliminate that possibility.

LA

07-01-04, 01:14 PM   #3  
Thumping Noise

Desi501, Thanks for your reply.It does sound like a popping sound. I'm assuming that the steering wheel doesn't need to be turned as far as it will go in either direction for this to happen. Because I turned the wheel as far as it will go in both directions and I didn't hear the noise. I appreciate your help. Kathy

Search this Thread