Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

86 caddy electrical problems

Visiting Guest

07-01-04, 11:04 AM   #1  
DIYDOOFUS
86 caddy electrical problems

VEHICLE-- 1986 sedan deville, 4.1L V-8, AT.

PROBLEM-- Difficulty starting, runs fine at speed, rough idle, dies at a stop.

STEPS TAKEN TO DIAGNOSE AND FIX-- I used my $5.99 RadioShak battery/alternator tester. It indicated the battery was not holding a charge. It also indicated that the alternator was charging Normal. That made sense, since the battery is over 7 years old. Before I bought a new battery, I charged the old one, and it ran fine for a day, and then the problems came back. I bought a new battery, installed it and it ran fine for 5 days-- mostly in town, stop and go driving, about 8 miles a day. Then the problems started re-appearing over the next two days. First was the rough idle, then the difficult starting, and now the dying at a stop.

One word about the alternator tester: The tester has five lights on it. The fourth light reads Normal, and the fifth light reads High. The directions say that it should light all five lights, which would be High and not Normal. As I said earlier, my alternator lights up four lights, which reads Normal. Of course there is no number to call to clear up my confusion. I guess thatís what I get for a $5.99 tester.

Thanks for any advice/input.

Sponsored Links

07-01-04, 11:16 AM   #2  
Don't trust that tester. Take it to a shop and have the system tested.It shouldn't cost over $25.

Search this Thread